Thrill-Pics

Miscellaneous Mumblings

That's good to hear. Hopefully it stays like that for at least a few days.

It will be in the 60s for a couple of days before dropping back into the high 40s which is still better than subfreezing.

I've gone thru a lot of pages of this forum and have yet to see much in the way of comments on some of the secondary Parks located in other parts of the country. I.m not talking about the 6 Flags parks or Cedar Point/Kings Island as much as some of those a person might run across if they were to do a real "SEE the U S A " Road Trip.

I grew up in L A in the early days of the original Disney Park, when it was competing with the Long Beach Pike, Venice's Pacific Ocean Park, and to a certainextent at that time Knott's Berry Farm.

The PIKE was a permanent Carnival Midway located on the Rainbow Pier (where the Aquaium and other harborview attractions are currently) It was a draw for the local Navy bases and military personnel more than local residents.

P O P was built on a pier in Venice, and was another Midway style Carney-Ride centered Park, but focused on teenagers and with dance pavilions and music integrated into the site at various locations.

Knotts was a whole different type of operation. As an elementary school kid I made several "field-trips" to "Knotts Berry Farm" in Buena Park. In addition to the original Fruit Stand/Grocery and Restaurant, famous for it's fried chicken and Boyensberry Pie, the Knotts built a "Ghost Town- replica of a western town with stagecoach and wagon rides, a sluicebox where you could 'pan for gold' and various other western attractions including stuntmen doing a shootout every hour.. They added rides over the years and eventually made a major leap to the Theme Park Level some time after I had left California.

The PIKE is gone. POP is gone. KNOTTs is unrecognizable from it's roots in "rural' Buena Park, but still carries the name.

Let me bring you to one near me today.

HOLIDAY WORLD, in SANTA CLAUS, Indiana. When I first came across this Park I considered it a 'local attraction' one step above a County Fair' but it has really come a long way in a very short period of time. I will attempt to insert their webite link her rather than type a ton of description copy myself. My endorsement will simple be than 35 members of my family have season passes with the intention to extend those to include the 2015 season for both the Theme and the Water Parks.

Holiday World is located west of Louisville about 50 miles , just off I-64

Some of the fringe benefits are the freebies-

season pass Parking

soft drinks for all

sunscreen " "

http://www.holidayworld.com/

I won't be riding it, but Thunderbird, but it looks like a pretty exciting addition to their Coaster lineup. Have any of you active Coaster chasers been to this Park? If so can you review the rides compared to others for me please.

thnks

al

Edited by mayor al

^^ Al, check the Trip Report pages for several park reports of other parks including some of the smaller/family parks and boardwalk centers. As for Holiday World, I only went once in 2007. I thought the park was nice, but after hearing so much hype in ACE over the years, my expectations were higher than my actual experience. I had fun but I guess I just wasn't as "WOWED" as I thought I would be. One of the biggest disappointments was the lack luster Christmas section of the park. I thought they could do so much more with that holiday.

I just got home and post disney depression is already setting in.

Welcome back!!! Did you have fun? The reality of returning home hits you when you discover your Magic Band does absolutely nothing at McDonalds, Starbucks, Wawa, etc.

Welcome back!!! Did you have fun? The reality of returning home hits you when you discover your Magic Band does absolutely nothing at McDonalds, Starbucks, Wawa, etc.

Thank you, and yes had a freaking blast, got so much done. Its so true about the magic bands, i was in the airport going to pay for something and realized i couldn't so i took it off so i didnt look like an idiot again.

LOL I think for the entire day after getting home I felt like I had my sunglasses on top of my head and my Magic Band on my wrist. Wishful thinking.

I heard on the news that several of the cruise lines are discontinuing the practice of last minute deals on their sailings. Still, saving the airfare would be a plus. My family just signed up for a Disney cruise after New Years. My dad is having his knee replaced the first week of December but hopefully all his joints will be back to working by then.

Im jealous! Disney and a cruise...two for the price of one! Some quick ones from FL are under $200, hard to pass up on until you see that the flight is more then the trip.

Disney employees get REAL deals on the Disney cruises. Many of my co-workers seem to go out every couple of months. Having the terminal less than an hour a way makes it convenient too.

I loved the year round calendar we were on in So Cal back in the 90's. 3 tracks of roughly 2000 kids each rotated with 16 weeks "IN" and 8 weeks "OUT". It allowed adequate space when they were'nt building new schools in our community, but the place was growing.

I taught.. January, Febuary, March, & April. Had MAY and JUNE off, Then started again for July, August, September & October, and took NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER OFF

No Spring Break , but the usual 3 day weekends were still there. Hard on the extra curricular activities and sports, but outstanding for vacations without crowds ! 168 school days with the kids. I taught Economics and Government- one semester courses- so carry over was not an issue. BEST WORK SCHEDULE I EVER HAD.

Bad storm for the day before Thanksgiving with possible 3 to 5 inchs of snow. It is too early for snow storms already! Looks like we are going into the same pattern as last year.

Edited by The Master

Not looking to drive from Philadelphia to Virginia-North Carolina tomorrow... Traffic and bad weather does not mix... Especially with a family and dog... In a 2WD truck...

Thank you. and a happy thanksgiving to you and all of our GAH friends and their family's.

Edited by scott