Thrill-Pics

Miscellaneous Mumblings

Harry (or anyone that might know), is there a realistic possibility that Great Adventure will break the 3 million attendance mark for the 2015 season? With an extra 20+ operating days I'd have to wonder.

Labor Day being late with daily operations going to September 7th plus that bonus weekend after Fright Fest probably helped too. It would be cool if the park did get 3 million visitors.

I just thought of this: because Disney works very well with Vekoma, I feel like they could add a SLC in one of their parks if they had to build a thrilling roller coaster, and I think it'll be indoors, which with the lights off, the SLC can be a very painful, if not the most painful SLC coaster to ride imo.

Harry (or anyone that might know), is there a realistic possibility that Great Adventure will break the 3 million attendance mark for the 2015 season? With an extra 20+ operating days I'd have to wonder.

Aren't those numbers that get released just estimates by a 3rd party? (Referring to the ones on wikipedia)

Edited by Matt Kaiser

^ Page 72 and 73 cover how they get their numbers.

AECOM obtains the figures used to create the TEA/AECOM Theme Index and Museum Index through a variety of sources, including statistics furnished directly by the operators, historical numbers, financial reports, the investment banking community, local tourism organizations, and professional estimates where necessary.

So, a variety of places, but I don't think they specify which ones are estimated.

They have a long section about how they estimate the numbers, too.

It would be nearly impossible to determine exactly how many guests visit a park each year even with automated technology at the gates. There is always some error, even with high tech machines. I think the estimates in the report would be fairly accurate for the most part (within a few thousand), but the exact number isn't what really matters. I think the estimates would be accurate enough to determine whether the number is above 3 million.

The parks have the most accurate information because they track every single guest that walks into the park through the turnstiles. What we see in these reports are most likely not those numbers, and instead are estimates from outside "experts" who could potentially be very far off, not estimates from Six Flags. They're literally guessing with some information they have.

Edited by Matt Kaiser

Cedar Point posted exact ridership on all major rides on their blog in November of 2013. IIRC GateKeeeper gave over 2 million rides that year! It was very interesting to see how popularity and efficiency play into things. I wish they did that this year to see Rougarou jump up from well under 1 million in 2013.

I love my dog and would love another,but on days like today where you have to go to the vet makes me realize why I don't have another!

My parents had to take our dog to the vet a few months ago. She got into the garbage bag and inhaled 35 chicken wing bones. Imagine 35 bones in the stomach of a small yorkie. Everyone at the vet now knows her as Ms. Chicken Bone.

Getting out of school was hell today as there was some small fire somewhere near, and a dumb CSX train passed through five minutes after school ended causing the two lane roads or main roads in my town to be jammed like city traffic. Train should've waited an hour after school ended as a few of my friends and other people play or walk on the train tracks, especially when a train comes. Cops did little to control traffic.

Most trains pass while school is in session, usually just before the end of the school day, but they pass when school just dismisses several times. The trains that do cause heavy traffic on the small road that crosses the tracks, but traffic moves fast on that road, and we get about three trains a week that are very short in length.

March is shaping up to be a good month. On the 18th season 2 of Daredevil. The less than a week later, on the 23rd, we get to go back to Great Adventure!!

Oh, and on the 25th Batman vs. Superman will be out. It will probably be out on Thursday the 24th.

Edited by scott

At this point, I think Six Flags Great Adventure has one of the worst show collections out of all Six Flags parks. Our only shows are animal edutainment shows, which are unique to the chain, but shows that tell some story need to be added. I hope Six Flags Great Adventure surprisingly adds a new Batman vs Superman show at the Stunt Arena this year as the new Batman vs Superman movie comes out in March. the Jack Frost show at Holiday in the Park was successful (I never watched it though.), so it's likely this can achieve visitors as well.

^ When I was at HITP the Jack Frost show had the biggest crowds out of anything in the park. Even though crowds were on the lighter side the show was near capacity.

I think a stunt show based on Batman vs Superman would be great! Lots they could do with that...

Edited by RC98

I think we'll see more entertainment in the future. Maybe not the immediate future (aka this upcoming year), but I believe we'll begin to notice at least a bit more progress on the shows aspect.

Going to be a bad storm, at least 18 inches of snow. They are advising against any travel from 3 am to 3 pm Saturday afternoon.

I wouldn't travel at all tomorrow. The storm will still be going on all the way until late tomorrow night so the roads will still be terrible. During the day tomorrow travel will be impossible.