Miscellaneous Mumblings

I don't mind seeing the 90 degree days done with as long as there is some decent fall weather and it doesn't get cold really fast especially during November and December.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A rider flew out of the coaster this morning. Luckily he landed on carpeting so no serious injuries.  All operations are on hold until the state investigates.    

I was shocked to get this for Christmas.  It really is the ultimate LEGO kit for any fan of their building kits (not to mention fans of Star Wars).  With over 7500 pieces the kit is the largest one ev

I know there are other people on here who may also be graduating college this year, so this is a shout out to us for the hard work that we've been through these past four (If you're getting your Bache

Posted Images

How was it?

Different, not what was expected but still fun and added a fun element to the typical 'show'. Some Hex Challenges were more involved then others, but i did notice we did seem to miss out or skip areas that people normally would be pulled away - ex: the slide, tunnel etc. unless they got rid of that stuff this year? I would recommend it though. Wasnt too much more and included the extra stuff plus skip the line passes.

• 2 weeks later...

Mall of America announced that they will remain closed on Thanksgiving Day this year, At last, someone has grown a brain. I hope this is a trend that catches on and Thanksgiving is once again shopping-free.

Agreed! A huge problem is the customers though. If they didn't go shopping on holidays then these places wouldn't even think about being open. Black Fridays are another thing that needs to be stopped.

It's bad enough when stores were opening in the middle of the night on Friday and it kept getting pushed back earlier and earlier to midnight, then Thursday night and then Thursday afternoon. I have never gone shopping on Thanksgiving Day or night except for online shopping.

It's a shame they aren't actually closing the mall itself besides places like Nickeloden Universe and stores do have the option to open.

I hate Black Friday too. There is nothing fun to me about getting up early to stand in a line for hours while people are pushing or shoving and fighting over a limited quantity item. Most of the deals aren't that great and better prices can be found the rest of the year with following deal sites like Slick Deals. I'd much rather be at the park riding Nitro on Black Friday.

I am also glad Great Adventure is closed on Thanksgiving Day so the employees can have the day off. Hershey is open from 5 to 10 and the employees can't even have dinner with their families or friends.

Since I do the Christmas shopping I don't mind Black Friday. I will admit I liked it a lot better when stores where closed on Thanksgiving and open up at 5am on Friday. It was not as bad then but now from 4pm to midnight on Thanksgiving its crazy.

A few years ago I was in Virginia and went to Peebles on Thanksgiving evening (There is not much where my dad lives). Next morning I drive to Henderson NC (45 minutes from my dad's house) and Walmart at 8am was almost empty. And they did have some deals left over. Also went to Game Stop and no one was in there either.

Last year I went to Walmart here, Tmobile and gamestop Friday morning starting at 8am and they were all empty also. Then I headed to NJ and hit the Outlet mall by Gadv and it was packed so I went to Gadv to spend Black Friday there.

I think since a lot of stores opened up on Thanksgiving it did not seem as bad Friday morning... but that could have been just me.

• 3 weeks later...

I just renewed my Dorney Season Pass for next year. $220 for the Gold Pass with Dining with taxes and fees.

Great Adventure was $164 for the same thing after taxes and fees with the souvenir cup and snacks with the dining pass plus admission and parking for all Six Flags parks.

$56 seems like a big difference not to mention a 6 month season for Dorney compared to an over 9 month season for Great Adventure.

With Dorney you do get Haunt attractions included, Dinosaurs Alive included, no locker Nazis, a waterpark that isn't horribly operated, and a somewhat less rowdy crowd. With GADV, their SP prices are too cheap, relying on greater number of sales to make up the difference which makes the park crowded with rowdy people, then using upcharges for futher markups to cover the low admission price.

I am against upcharges, which is why I didn't do the dinos until they were included with SPs in the second year. It is not as bad as coming up with a fast pass system that purposely makes standby waits worse to force sales like in HH nor upcharging for substandard haunted houses made out of old junk. We can go back and forth about the pros and cons of each park, but GADV low price is a double edge sword. Yes the value is good for the price, but it is too good which mobs the park with low class people and makes lines long. Combined that many parts of GADV are not maintained well, operations are often slower than other parks, and guests are hassled more by security theater (false security that is for show). For the most part GADV is more about quantity over quality.

I still have good times at GADV, but not as many as I used to in the past or at other parks in the present. Most of the issues I have with the park are operational and management issues. Every park has its own sets of pros and cons, Dorney, Hershey, Moreys, Disney, etc, but I feel GADV currently has more cons than other parks do.

Edited by The Master

I'm doing the cedar fair platinum pass next year including then dinning pass and drink bottle. I love the fact that Dorney has the bins that they slide back and forth so you don't have to worry about someone taking your stuff. Their haunts are amazing plus I'm planning on hitting up Cedar point, Kings island and Carowinds. Also plan on hitting up kings dominion several times next year since I am getting a Busch Gardens season pass as well. I agree that cedar fair definitely changes a lot more but I noticed the difference in the crowd as well in my 1 free trip to Dorney this year.

I'd like to see our park charge more, especially if it means they will put the money back into the park and it makes the crowds overall better.

I really enjoyed great adventure this year but I went a lot early on in the season and went when the park was least crowded. I only went one time in July and August and that was for the fire works during the 4th of July weekend. I also plan on going a lot during holiday in the park.

Edited by SatansHockey
  • Like 1

I was wondering why Six Flags didn't have any MLB playoff park bets like last years NLCS with the Mets vs the Dodgers. Every NL playoff match involved 2 teams with a SIx Flags park nearby.

It looks like this year they are going outside the chain and it is SFGAM vs Cedar Point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/790976299460337664/video/1

Saturday looks to be close to 70 and no rain. With a good chance of rain Sunday, I think Saturday will be the busiest day of the year for the park.

Looks like it will warm up just in time for the final Oct weekend, though Friday will still be below normal.

I'll be doing my 4th visit to Fright Fest Sunday.