Miscellaneous Mumblings

It seems that malls are declining in popularity because of online shopping or the lack of unique stores. Macy's just closed its stores in Voorhees/Echelon and Moorestown. JC Penney is closing in King of Prussia with the possibility of going into bankruptcy. This makes me wonder how the American Dream Meadowlands complex will do when it opens.

My daughter works in the hair salon right next to the Macy's in Moorestown Mall. She's concerned that closing is going to affect their walk-in business. I think the Targets and Kohls of the world have pretty much killed the mall anchor stores, especially the upscale ones. Near me the Burlington Mall is pretty much dead with about 25% occupancy. There have been plans on the books to redevelop it into more of a outdoor shopping plaza and adding a Costco type bulk goods store, but nothing has happened yet in the three or so years since I first heard about it.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone [:   It's been a while since I've been on, but I wanted to share some great news. I got my first job since graduating college 😁  

A rider flew out of the coaster this morning. Luckily he landed on carpeting so no serious injuries.  All operations are on hold until the state investigates.    

I was shocked to get this for Christmas.  It really is the ultimate LEGO kit for any fan of their building kits (not to mention fans of Star Wars).  With over 7500 pieces the kit is the largest one ev

Posted Images

My daughter works in the hair salon right next to the Macy's in Moorestown Mall. She's concerned that closing is going to affect their walk-in business. I think the Targets and Kohls of the world have pretty much killed the mall anchor stores, especially the upscale ones. Near me the Burlington Mall is pretty much dead with about 25% occupancy. There have been plans on the books to redevelop it into more of a outdoor shopping plaza and adding a Costco type bulk goods store, but nothing has happened yet in the three or so years since I first heard about it.

The Voorhees Town Center has the same problem as the Burlington Mall as the former is not off major roads. The closest major road from the VTC is Route 30 a mile away in Somerdale. I don't really understand why the Burlington Mall declined as it is the only mall in northern Burlington County and off the NJ Turnpike and I-295. About 10 years ago, the Echelon Mall became the Voorhees Town Center by demolishing the JC Penney half of the mall and replaced it with apartments and a few restaurants but still having vacancy problems.

The Voorhees Town Center has the same problem as the Burlington Mall as the former is not off major roads. The closest major road from the VTC is Route 30 a mile away in Somerdale. I don't really understand why the Burlington Mall declined as it is the only mall in northern Burlington County and off the NJ Turnpike and I-295. About 10 years ago, the Echelon Mall became the Voorhees Town Center by demolishing the JC Penney half of the mall and replaced it with apartments and a few restaurants but still having vacancy problems.

I have relatives who live near there. They say they pretty much stopped going there a decade ago because rough teenagers were hanging out there. One time a gang of teenagers were on a upper walkway spitting on people and got my aunt which was the last straw for them. A few years ago I think there was also some sort of gang fight there. Burlington is a lot rougher than it looks.

I have relatives who live near there. They say they pretty much stopped going there a decade ago because rough teenagers were hanging out there. One time a gang of teenagers were on a upper walkway spitting on people and got my aunt which was the last straw for them. A few years ago I think there was also some sort of gang fight there. Burlington is a lot rougher than it looks.

I have heard of Burlington City/Township being on the rough side lately. It's fate is kind of similar to Bridgeton and Lindenwold with more rowdy people moving in what were decent neighborhoods. The gang fight was likely related to a group called Bloods. Ever since the fight happened, most stores left the mall.

I have heard of Burlington City/Township being on the rough side lately. It's fate is kind of similar to Bridgeton and Lindenwold with more rowdy people moving in what were decent neighborhoods. The gang fight was likely related to a group called Bloods. Ever since the fight happened, most stores left the mall.

Not to make this political or racial, but Burlington is next to Willingboro, which is majority African American. Let's just say many of their "rougher" citizens decided to make the Burlington Center their hangout, and things deteriorated from there. After several incidents, many stopped going to the mall and that was the beginning of the end.

This was what was happening to Hersheypark in the 60s before they turned things around with the major park overhaul in the 70s. GADV really needs to be careful about who they want to attract.

I don't get why most of these rougher areas are near African American majority towns. Down in the Baltimore-Washington DC area, most of the suburbs especially near the Capital Beltway and Six Flags America are African American majority but after visiting the area five times in 2 years, I found out that 80% of the suburbs there are nice, wealthy towns due to the government facilities there (Silver Spring, Bowie, Glen Burnie, New Carrollton, Landover, etc.).

I don't get why most of these rougher areas are near African American majority towns. Down in the Baltimore-Washington DC area, most of the suburbs especially near the Capital Beltway and Six Flags America are African American majority but after visiting the area five times in 2 years, I found out that 80% of the suburbs there are nice, wealthy towns due to the government facilities there (Silver Spring, Bowie, Glen Burnie, New Carrollton, Landover, etc.).

It all comes down to economic opportunity. Why are some towns next to Camden thriving, but Camden itself is a mess?

It all comes down to economic opportunity. Why are some towns next to Camden thriving, but Camden itself is a mess?

It usually depends on housing and taxes. Near Camden, towns like Lindenwold and Pennsauken attract rougher people due to the cheaper pricing of apartments but a town like Haddonfield or Collingswood (the latter is ironically directly next to Camden) is more classy with mostly large, 3 story homes.

It usually depends on housing and taxes. Near Camden, towns like Lindenwold and Pennsauken attract rougher people due to the cheaper pricing of apartments but a town like Haddonfield or Collingswood (the latter is ironically directly next to Camden) is more classy with mostly large, 3 story homes.

It also has to do with how the area is being managed, because cities like Camden have a long history of abuse and corruption - several of former mayors of Camden are now in jail.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Omega block over the country, it looks like this May will be similar to last May. Very rainy and below normal cool for a large chunk of the month. Nice weather may not return until after Mother's day.

With the Omega block over the country, it looks like this May will be similar to last May. Very rainy and below normal cool for a large chunk of the month. Nice weather may not return until after Mother's day.

which sucks because I like to get my trips into the park before the crowds peak after Memorial Day and the weather gets unbearably hot.

Does anyone know if I can change a membership from one person to another person? Right now I have 4 under my name and there are reasons I don't want to just cancel it and then add a new one to my name. I think it would change my monthly pricing.

Does that mean you have 4 activated under your name?

If that's the case I assume you would have to see the customer service people. I would say call but I think you might have better results if you go to the window to the left of the entrance. I think a face to face give you better results.

I didn't look it up but I thought they were non transferable. Maybe you tell the person they are all under your name in error they can clear it and assign it to a new patron.

That said, I have no experience in this. I'm not positive I understand the situation. I like to give advice and sound like I know what I'm talking about even when I have no clue.

I finally went to the observation deck of the new One World Trade Center and visited the 9/11 Memorial Museum in NYC earlier this week on my birthday. I was really impressed with the museum especially how it was so respectively designed and presented.

I finally went to the observation deck of the new One World Trade Center and visited the 9/11 Memorial Museum in NYC earlier this week on my birthday. I was really impressed with the museum especially how it was so respectively designed and presented.

I've wanted to visit that for years, but haven't due to fears of how emotional the experience would be. Perhaps it is time....

I was flipping the stations this morning and found the kids show Xploration Station Weird but True had filmed at Great Adventure to explane rollercoasters. shots of all of the coasters running in the show. It cant be verry old since they rode Joker and Harly.

Edited by scott