Thrill-Pics

Miscellaneous Mumblings

On 1/31/2018 at 10:10 AM, dougdrummer said:

So I doubt that car was driven at 140 mph, unless someone tried to steal the Liberty Bell and there was an ensuing high speed chase....LOL.

You'd be surprised, I knew some Danger Rangers out at Gettysburg who did stints in Philadelphia.  They'd run between the two parks just for fun.  They also used to screw with the ghost hunters at on the battlefields with the spots. 

4 hours ago, Lemur said:

You'd be surprised, I knew some Danger Rangers out at Gettysburg who did stints in Philadelphia.  They'd run between the two parks just for fun.  They also used to screw with the ghost hunters at on the battlefields with the spots. 

They'd be lucky to get up to 30 MPH on the Schuylkill Expressway..... :)

1 hour ago, dougdrummer said:

True, but once you get past Mid County and head west for Gettysburg, you can rock it out.

30 minutes ago, Lemur said:

True, but once you get past Mid County and head west for Gettysburg, you can rock it out.

Now it's 70 MPH!!  :D

1 hour ago, dougdrummer said:

6 minutes ago, dougdrummer said:

Now it's 70 MPH!!  :D

Last time I was on the Schuylkill Expressway, we were able to hit 65 in some parts because it was a Saturday. The problem about the PA Turnpike between Harrisburg and King of Prussia is that the truck drivers would drive around 50 to 60 miles per hour when the speed limit is now 70; maybe because of the amount of sharp turns and they are scared to lose control. If there weren't as many slow drivers on that stretch, most cars would fly between 80 and 90 on the straight parts and 65 to 75 on the turns.

49 minutes ago, Viper26 said:

Last time I was on the Schuylkill Expressway, we were able to hit 65 in some parts because it was a Saturday. The problem about the PA Turnpike between Harrisburg and King of Prussia is that the truck drivers would drive around 50 to 60 miles per hour when the speed limit is now 70; maybe because of the amount of sharp turns and they are scared to lose control. If there weren't as many slow drivers on that stretch, most cars would fly between 80 and 90 on the straight parts and 65 to 75 on the turns.

I think it is even worse once you get west of KOP because it's only 2 lanes with very hilly curves and all the truck traffic.  If a truck decides to pass a slower truck, you can be blocked and are  screwed for several miles before the truck gets out of the left lane.

2 hours ago, dougdrummer said:

I think it is even worse once you get west of KOP because it's only 2 lanes with very hilly curves and all the truck traffic.  If a truck decides to pass a slower truck, you can be blocked and are  screwed for several miles before the truck gets out of the left lane.

There is also no left lane shoulder on the Turnpike making it harder to pass slow vehicles on the right lane. There are times where bumper to bumper traffic is about to happen because of slower moving trucks.

4 hours ago, Viper26 said:

There is also no left lane shoulder on the Turnpike making it harder to pass slow vehicles on the right lane. There are times where bumper to bumper traffic is about to happen because of slower moving trucks.

Parts of I-81 are like that because of the volume of truck traffic.

16 hours ago, dougdrummer said:

Parts of I-81 are like that because of the volume of truck traffic.

I-81 is one of the busiest truck routes in America as it is a by pass of I-95 between Washington DC and Virginia and NYC which is the busiest part of I-95. I-81 doesn't pass through any major cities but passes through many college towns in Virginia and New York.

I finally get to see a Super Bowl win and having it be against Tom Brady and the Patriots makes it even better after the Eagles lost to them 13 years ago. From watching the reports, it looks like it was crazy in Philadelphia tonight.

It was a really good game.  Having moved to south Jersey early last spring I changed my team from the Jets (don't ask why) to the Eagles being I was closer to Philadelphia now.  Didn't take long to win!

1 hour ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It was a really good game.  Having moved to south Jersey early last spring I changed my team from the Jets (don't ask why) to the Eagles being I was closer to Philadelphia now.  Didn't take long to win!

Do we credit you with the win then? ;)

If that was why the Eagles won, is there any chance of you also becoming a fan of the Phillies, Flyers and 76ers? :D

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, dougdrummer said:

So I doubt that car was driven at 140 mph, unless someone tried to steal the Liberty Bell and there was an ensuing high speed chase....LOL.

I'm late to this conversation but all of the responses seem to have overlooked something. Maybe it wasn't driven at 140 MPH before but maybe it has been now, by The Master!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Yoshi said:

If that was why the Eagles won, is there any chance of you also becoming a fan of the Phillies, Flyers and 76ers? :D

The Sixers are the only Phila team I can root for, and they are a year or two from possibly being really good.  I'm so sick of Lebron James, Steph Curry et al, and I want to see some other teams emerge to be competitive.

I can't believe the Flyers have been so bad for so long, especially considering this is supposed to be a hockey town.

Phillies had their run, and it will take a few more years to rebuild.  Which is good for me, considering it is much more convenient (and cheaper) to go see my Mets play at CBP as opposed to NY.

4 minutes ago, dougdrummer said:

Phillies had their run, and it will take a few more years to rebuild.  Which is good for me, considering it is much more convenient (and cheaper) to go see my Mets play at CBP as opposed to NY.

Yea but how long will it take for our Mets to be good again :-)

If the Phillies were to sign a good starting pitcher (maybe Alex Cobb) I feel like they have a slight chance at a Wild Card if everything goes right. During the 2nd half last year they only 1 game under .500.

The Mets could probably get a Wild Card if they don't have so many injuries this year. I'd rather see them win the division than the Nationals, since the Nationals are easily my most hated MLB team.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, dougdrummer said:

The Sixers are the only Phila team I can root for, and they are a year or two from possibly being really good.  I'm so sick of Lebron James, Steph Curry et al, and I want to see some other teams emerge to be competitive.

I can't believe the Flyers have been so bad for so long, especially considering this is supposed to be a hockey town.

Be careful rooting for the Mets or any other team at Citizens Bank Park or the other stadiums in Philly. Some fans in Philly can be notorious for being pretty violent towards opposing teams.

For basketball, I root for the Washington Wizards (formerly the Bullets) because they currently are a good team but they get a lot of unnecessary hate for almost no reason.They are able to play with the top teams and have been able to beat the Celtics and Rockets this season both of which I think will make the Finals this year instead of Golden State and Cleveland. The Wizards' best player John Wall is out for two months and the team was able to have a five game win streak without him. Unfortunately, they ended the streak in Philly last night and surprisingly, the two teams do not have a rivalry. As for the Sixers, I am not a fan mainly because I think "Trust the Process" is a bit over-hyped especially at my school, but I do think Joel Embiid is a good center but he needs to stay more healthy as with the rest of the team. The rest of the team is solid but they are all young so it'll take them a few years to be competing with the top teams. They're still recovering from several bad seasons and injuries.

13 hours ago, Viper26 said:

Be careful rooting for the Mets or any other team at Citizens Bank Park or the other stadiums in Philly. Some fans in Philly can be notorious for being pretty violent towards opposing teams.

I always hear how bad it is to go to Philly as a fan of another team. I've never had an issue there. I go in my Mets gear and nobody says a word to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scott said:

I always hear how bad it is to go to Philly as a fan of another team. I've never had an issue there. I go in my Mets gear and nobody says a word to me.

As long as you're not obnoxious and make a spectacle of yourself, people generally don't care.  You might get the occasional raised eyebrow, but generally people are cool unless you act like a tool.  (And the same goes for NYC fans.  I've gone to the Rock and Citifield in Flyers/Phils gear and never had a problem.  Most people just want to know how you got your tickets to see if you'd bought from a season ticket holder or if the tickets were retail.  Occasionally I've run into problems at the Garden, but it's usually some drunken yabbo who thinks he's being funny right up until another Rangers fans sets him straight.  Which is the thing, most fans are cool.  It's the drunks who think bullying people is the height of hilarity that are the problem.  I've been present when Eagles fans started heckling Giants fans who were just walking past and other Eagles fans told them to shut the hell up.  It ended in Eagles fan on Eagles fan violence.  Zero police horses were punched. 

As for the Sixers ... I haven't watched them since the Iverson era and quite frankly don't care about the NBA.  The Big 5 City Series though, that's something else.  

Edited by Lemur

On 2/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, dougdrummer said:

They haven't been bad.  They've been purely mediocre since 2010.  They've missed the playoffs three out of six years since their last Cup run and acknowledge they're rebuilding under Hextal.  Consider the sheer weight of the terrible contracts they were carrying over from the Holmgren/Clarke era and the fact that they still don't have a franchise goalie, they've actually done better than they've had any right to do.  Big things are on the way for this team (the blue line is sooooo much stronger than it's been since Pronger was forced to retire), provided one of their goalie prospects pans out and no one gets trade-happy.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:45 PM, scott said:

Yea but how long will it take for our Mets to be good again :-)

If they stay healthy, not long at all. They made some good moves in the offseason, and their rotation could be one of the best in the league if they stay healthy. 

When the Phillies were on their run, I went to watch the Mets play there.  I was wearing no Met paraphernalia, but I happened to be wearing sneakers that had orange and blue colors on them.  When I went to the bathroom, some drunk Phillie fan immediately started loudly berating me as a Met fan who dared to come to CBP, even though I never said a word or made any gestures to anyone.  I finished my business and high-tailed it out of there, thinking there was a reasonable chance that this dude was going to do more than verbally threaten me.  I didn't return to CBP for several years because of that incident.

I hate that there are Philadelphia fans like that. It gives all Philadelphia sports fans a bad reputation. I would never say anything to someone who might be a fan of another team. I don't lIke confrontations in general and I know when I go to an opposing team's stadium, I would hope I would be left alone except some joking around.

Thankfully the worst I have run into at 9 stadiums was just some cursing after the Phillies won against the Pirates and Giants.