6131 replies to this topic

#6121 SFGadv123

SFGadv123

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Music, concerts, roller coasters, video games, sports

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Seems weird to think that some schools are just getting out now when I've been out for 2 weeks

#6122 Mrpq

Mrpq

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Well here is a quick run down of NYC from when I was in school and I am still pretty sure it holds water today

NYC PUBLIC schools where always a week or two behind the Catholic schools.  I went to catholic elementary and high school and always remembered going back to school before my public school friends but would be out for the summer before them.  The catholic schools always ended about 2 weeks before the public schools.  Also keep in mind last day of classes isn't the last day of school.  The regents have been going on the past two weeks, so classes really ended 2 weeks ago. 

#6123 GAcoaster

GAcoaster

Administrator

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

I remember when winters would be snowy we'd end up going into the last week of June to make up for snow days. 

#6124 scott

scott

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

I remember when winters would be snowy we'd end up going into the last week of June to make up for snow days. 

I remember having 5 snow days built into the schedule and the year would only be extended if you used more than 5. Ah the good old days when we walked to school, up hill, both ways......

OK, the snow days part is true. Maybe I didn't have to walk to school.

Edited by scott, 29 June 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#6125 Yoshi

Yoshi

Sky Ride

• Red Tag (Moderator)
  • 3,024 posts
  • Interests:Roller Coasters, Amusement Parks, Video Games, Baseball

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

One year, I lost almost all of Spring Break because of snow (I want to say it was 1994). Because people already had vacations planned and weren't going to cancel their trips, at least 1/3 of students were gone so the teachers didn't really teach anything and we just watched movies. We had 3 snow days built into the schedule.

#6126 dougdrummer

dougdrummer

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

My father was a public school teacher so there was never any issues with when he and us kids could get off for vacation time.  Of course back then a teacher made almost no money, so there was only a short break between the regular school year end and the start of summer school, which he had to also teach to make enough to feed a family of 6.

#6127 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,496 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

#6128 The Master

The Master

Sky Ride

• Black Tag
  • 2,898 posts
  • Interests:roller coasters, trains, old cars, old farm tractors, cats, and SciFi.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

So far this summer, Hurricane Harbor, Hershey's Boardwalk, and Sahara Sam's allow aqua socks to be worn down their slides. While Wildwater Kingdom, Moreys, Splashzone, and Breakwater Beach do not allow aqua socks to be worn down their slides. Seems like the shore waterparks are especially bad about not allowing aqua socks.

Vote Saxon
250px-Philly_skyline.jpg bad wolf
Philly

Safest bet in the world: that a geek snob will find something wrong with something big in the subject of his/her (mostly his) fixation and grouse about it for the rest of his/her life.

#6129 Yoshi

Yoshi

Sky Ride

• Red Tag (Moderator)
  • 3,024 posts
  • Interests:Roller Coasters, Amusement Parks, Video Games, Baseball

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:31 PM

Maybe because they are afraid sand could be stuck in the aqua socks and get on the slides?

#6130 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,496 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

I know I am in a minority with some but I hate summer and can't wait until it ends and takes its heat and humidity with it.

#6131 The Master

The Master

Sky Ride

• Black Tag
  • 2,898 posts
  • Interests:roller coasters, trains, old cars, old farm tractors, cats, and SciFi.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

I rather have the heat and humidity than the cold and dryness of winter, along with the nasty road salt yuck.

Vote Saxon
250px-Philly_skyline.jpg bad wolf
Philly

Safest bet in the world: that a geek snob will find something wrong with something big in the subject of his/her (mostly his) fixation and grouse about it for the rest of his/her life.

#6132 njxxxjon

njxxxjon

Carousel

• Orange Tag
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Korn, skateboarding, life, energy drinks.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Another boring summer day in NJ!

Forgot I was registered on this board!

What is up? How have the past......2 weeks of life been for some of you? Anything kick-ass happen? ....or suck? 2 weeks....go!

_____
HEY!

_____

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users