Miscellaneous Mumblings

• Please log in to reply
6067 replies to this topic

#6061 The Master

The Master

Sky Ride

• Black Tag
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:roller coasters, trains, old cars, old farm tractors, cats, and SciFi.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

The Voorhees Town Center has the same problem as the Burlington Mall as the former is not off major roads. The closest major road from the VTC is Route 30 a mile away in Somerdale. I don't really understand why the Burlington Mall declined as it is the only mall in northern Burlington County and off the NJ Turnpike and I-295. About 10 years ago, the Echelon Mall became the Voorhees Town Center by demolishing the JC Penney half of the mall and replaced it with apartments and a few restaurants but still having vacancy problems.

I have relatives who live near there. They say they pretty much stopped going there a decade ago because rough teenagers were hanging out there. One time a gang of teenagers were on a upper walkway spitting on people and got my aunt which was the last straw for them. A few years ago I think there was also some sort of gang fight there. Burlington is a lot rougher than it looks.

Vote Saxon
250px-Philly_skyline.jpg bad wolf
Philly

Safest bet in the world: that a geek snob will find something wrong with something big in the subject of his/her (mostly his) fixation and grouse about it for the rest of his/her life.

#6062 Viper26

Viper26

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Six Flags, Cedar Fair, The Legend of Zelda, video games

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

I have relatives who live near there. They say they pretty much stopped going there a decade ago because rough teenagers were hanging out there. One time a gang of teenagers were on a upper walkway spitting on people and got my aunt which was the last straw for them. A few years ago I think there was also some sort of gang fight there. Burlington is a lot rougher than it looks.

I have heard of Burlington City/Township being on the rough side lately. It's fate is kind of similar to Bridgeton and Lindenwold with more rowdy people moving in what were decent neighborhoods. The gang fight was likely related to a group called Bloods. Ever since the fight happened, most stores left the mall. 

#6063 dougdrummer

dougdrummer

Giant Wheel

• Black Tag
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

I have heard of Burlington City/Township being on the rough side lately. It's fate is kind of similar to Bridgeton and Lindenwold with more rowdy people moving in what were decent neighborhoods. The gang fight was likely related to a group called Bloods. Ever since the fight happened, most stores left the mall. 

Not to make this political or racial, but Burlington is next to Willingboro, which is majority African American.  Let's just say many of their "rougher" citizens decided to make the Burlington Center their hangout, and things deteriorated from there.  After  several incidents, many stopped going to the mall and that was the beginning of the end.

next planned trip: Sunday, April 30

#6064 The Master

The Master

Sky Ride

• Black Tag
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:roller coasters, trains, old cars, old farm tractors, cats, and SciFi.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

This was what was happening to Hersheypark in the 60s before they turned things around with the major park overhaul in the 70s. GADV really needs to be careful about who they want to attract.

Vote Saxon
250px-Philly_skyline.jpg bad wolf
Philly

Safest bet in the world: that a geek snob will find something wrong with something big in the subject of his/her (mostly his) fixation and grouse about it for the rest of his/her life.

#6065 Viper26

Viper26

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

I don't get why most of these rougher areas are near African American majority towns. Down in the Baltimore-Washington DC area, most of the suburbs especially near the Capital Beltway and Six Flags America are African American majority but after visiting the area five times in 2 years, I found out that 80% of the suburbs there are nice, wealthy towns due to the government facilities there (Silver Spring, Bowie, Glen Burnie, New Carrollton, Landover, etc.).

#6066 dougdrummer

dougdrummer

Giant Wheel

• Black Tag
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

I don't get why most of these rougher areas are near African American majority towns. Down in the Baltimore-Washington DC area, most of the suburbs especially near the Capital Beltway and Six Flags America are African American majority but after visiting the area five times in 2 years, I found out that 80% of the suburbs there are nice, wealthy towns due to the government facilities there (Silver Spring, Bowie, Glen Burnie, New Carrollton, Landover, etc.).

It all comes down to economic opportunity.  Why are some towns next to Camden thriving, but Camden itself is a mess?

#6067 Viper26

Viper26

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

It all comes down to economic opportunity.  Why are some towns next to Camden thriving, but Camden itself is a mess?

It usually depends on housing and taxes. Near Camden, towns like Lindenwold and Pennsauken attract rougher people due to the cheaper pricing of apartments but a town like Haddonfield or Collingswood (the latter is ironically directly next to Camden) is more classy with mostly large, 3 story homes.

#6068 dougdrummer

dougdrummer

Giant Wheel

• Black Tag
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

It usually depends on housing and taxes. Near Camden, towns like Lindenwold and Pennsauken attract rougher people due to the cheaper pricing of apartments but a town like Haddonfield or Collingswood (the latter is ironically directly next to Camden) is more classy with mostly large, 3 story homes.

It also has to do with how the area is being managed, because cities like Camden have a long history of abuse and corruption - several of former mayors of Camden are now in jail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users