59 replies to this topic

#1 GAcoaster

GAcoaster

Administrator

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

Please discuss all your memories of Lightnin' Loops here, but please note we will not allow discussion of the ride accident. It was an unfortunate accident, and while it is part of the park's history, we wish to focus on the good memories of Lightnin' Loops and the millions of safe rides it provided over the years, not just the one unfortunate accident.

Thank You,

The GAH Staff

#2 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

Giant Wheel

• Black Tag
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

This is not directed toward the accident but after it, I just want to know why did they not reopen both sides and only fix up the one side?

#3 Railer

Railer

Sky Ride

• Black Tag
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

Great Spotlight. I first went on this when I was around 10 yrs. old (1980). The first two year's it was open I was one of the little kids that went up the steps but chickend out at the top. I remember when the whole thing would rock when a train was launched and I would go right back down. I'm glad you included that fact in the Spotlight, it takes me way back. Great as always.

#4 redsoxfan0810

redsoxfan0810

Log Flume

• Black Tag
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Coasters and parks of course, but also Crew, Baseball, Hockey, Drums, Guitar hero, just having fun.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

Great spotlight, this was one of the rides I looked forward to seeing the most. Most likely because there was the similar Black Widow at Riverside that I never got on, only because I was (as you mentioned!) too scared to climb the stairs!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Guest_warnerleroy_*

Guest_warnerleroy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Will this rap up the Summer of Spotlights?

#6 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Roller Coasters, Disney, Animals, Skate Boarding, Music, Movies, Books, Plays, etc

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

^ ... blink.gif
Posted Image
www.Facebook.com/dainanrafferty

Rolling Thunder Lead Summer 2009

#7 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Josh Davidson @ Aug 31 2008, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not directed toward the accident but after it, I just want to know why did they not reopen both sides and only fix up the one side?
The lower or blue loop never reopened because there wasn't a need for the extra capacity due to the drop in attendance at the park.

#8 CycloneMan

CycloneMan

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Roller Coasters, Disney, Animals, Skate Boarding, Music, Movies, Books, Plays, etc

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

Great Spotlight!

And does anyone else see the irony? Blue was done for a few years and had more down time than red. But red had the accident, but red is the one that reopened and stayed open!

-Dainan "This story sounds familiar" Rafferty
Posted Image
www.Facebook.com/dainanrafferty

Rolling Thunder Lead Summer 2009

#9 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(warnerleroy @ Aug 31 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will this rap up the Summer of Spotlights?

This wraps up the Summer of Spotlights! Thanks to everyone for casting your votes for our Reader's Choice Spotlight! Next up Dreams & Nightmares!

#10 Guest_warnerleroy_*

Guest_warnerleroy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(29yrswithaGApass @ Aug 31 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This wraps up the Summer of Spotlights! Thanks to everyone for casting your votes for our Reader's Choice Spotlight! Next up Dreams & Nightmares!

Interesting way to put it, should I be excited(it's a cool name) or scared

#11 J4Sing

J4Sing

Giant Wheel

• Black Tag
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Food and Wine, fun and thrills, and of course, Great Adventure!!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

Superb Spotlight! Bravo! A great way to wrap up the season of spotlights. I loved Lightnin Loops, and this spotlight really brings me back. Great job! smile.gif

#12 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

Giant Wheel

• Black Tag
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

How rare was it when both sides were operational to see both trains go through the loops at the same time?

#13 MarioSonic94

MarioSonic94

Runaway Mine Train

• Black Tag
  • 714 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

One question, is this the Reader's Choice Spotlight? No offense. I thought Lighting Loops was a great way to end the Summer of Spotlights.

Luis L.
The member formally known as "Luis L."

#14 Upallnite

Upallnite

Super Roundup

• Black Tag
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

Ahh this one broke my coaster cherry. I loved this coaster like I will never love another. cept that climb

#15 GAcoaster

GAcoaster

Administrator

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(Luis L @ Aug 31 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One question, is this the Reader's Choice Spotlight? No offense. I thought Lighting Loops was a great way to end the Summer of Spotlights.

Luis L.

Yes, Lightnin' Loops got the most votes (with Rolling Thunder and Freefall very close behind).

#16 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:48 AM

Be sure to check out a nice aricle on the opening of this ride in our Spotlight Extras - Lightnin' Loops Album. Special thanks to our member Daved Thomson for sending us the article.

#17 CablesEric

CablesEric

Log Flume

• Black Tag
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Great spotlight! Runaway Mine train was my first coaster, G.A.S.M. was my first looping coaster, and Lightnin' Loops was my first Looping coaster with my eyes open!

#18 Guest_warnerleroy_*

Guest_warnerleroy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

I knew somebody's whose friend used to be a technician on the ride. He would bring a cup of coffee and the test ride every morning to test out the centripical force.

#19 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

I am not usually a "must ride in the front seat" fan, but that was my favorite spot on Lightnin' Loops. Prior to 1987 the nose of the car was open and riders could extend their legs straight out. The "floating" sensation made a ride in that seat a totally different experience.

#20 29yrswithaGApass

29yrswithaGApass

Historian

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

I remember going to Circus World Amusement Park near Orlando in 1983 with my grandfather. I was so impressed because their single loop version of Lightnin' Loops called the Flying Daredevil actually had an elevator to the top platform. I thought it was strange that a small park like Circus World had an elevator yet we were so much larger and more crowded and we only had stairs. Their train was shorter by a couple of cars too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users