The Haunt at Dorney Park

The Master

According to Dorney's home page, during Haunt nights that are open till midnight the normal rides close at 11:00 while the Haunt attractions remain open to midnight. I don't know if they will also pull this during Haunt nights were the park closes earlier than midnight (such as Sundays) but I would not put it past them.

It's just one of those unfortunate facts of life with the economy the way it is that EVERYONE needs to cut expenses, and the biggest controllable cost for any business is labor. Closing that one hour earlier saves them a lot of money.

I have a feeling that rule will not be particularly strict. If the park is crowded, things will stay open later. I think they just want to set expectations realistically. Just like GA, if the crowds warrant it, things stay open as long as needed, with a soft closing as crowds thin.

Maybe but I kind of doubt it since I think they close stuff early to make people go home earlier so they can close stuff down faster like they did with WWK in Aug. Though I was at Dorney this past Sunday and they didn't close the rides down early like they did back in Aug where there were alot more crowded.

Last year on Sunday nights, rides closed at 10:00 with the rest of the park. They did the same thing last year on Friday and Saturday nights with rides closing at 11:00 but the park closing at 12:00.

I understand why they close the rides early, at night it seemed like once the Haunt attractions opened, the rides lines were basically non existant. I went on a few Sunday nights last year from around 6 - 10 and the Haunt lines appeared to be 20 - 30 minutes while the coasters were 5 - 10 minute waits at the most.

For rides it is actually better to go during the day since some rides shut down at 5:00 (and don't open at all on Friday) like Thunderhawk, Road Rally, Scrambler, Krazy Kars, Log Flume (will probably be closed for the season anyway).

What I did last year which seemed to work well was go to Frightfest on Friday nights and Haunt on Sunday during the day or Sunday at night and not go to any parks on Saturday's. I avoided the huge crowds the Halloween events usually get (though if I had any interest in the Haunt stuff, I would have had to wait in some lines).

Edited by Yoshi

That's what I have been doing for years, go to FF on Friday night and go to Halloweekends on Sunday. Then last year I went to Haunt on Sundays did the rides during the day and the halloween stuff at night. But I miss the haunted train ride, shame they could not set up Cornstalkers so you ride the train though it.

The haunted train ride was fun. The only thing I never understood about it was why they only loaded 3 out of I think 5 or 6 cars, which made the line long most of the time.

The other thing I had thought about but I don't see it as happening is maybe keep select major rides open until midnight. Maybe just Talon, Hydra, Possessed, Steel Force, Dominator, Revolution, Hang Time and maybe the Wild Mouse open until 12, and close down everything else. Those are the rides most people are interested in and since it is an older crowd for the most point at that hour, they could have those rides open and shut down stuff most people aren't going to be riding at that hour anyway like the ferris wheel, both carrousels etc.

Edited by Yoshi

The other thing I had thought about but I don't see it as happening is maybe keep select major rides open until midnight. Maybe just Talon, Hydra, Possessed, Steel Force, Dominator, Revolution, Hang Time and maybe the Wild Mouse...and shut down stuff most people aren't going to be riding at that hour anyway like the ferris wheel, both carousels etc.

Last year at HAUNT, my last ride of the night was the carousel...