James Reid-Anderson Named Chairman, Pres and CEO of Six Flags

Source: Six Flags

James Reid-Anderson Named Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

DALLAS, Aug. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world's largest regional theme park operator, today announced that James Reid-Anderson has been named the Company's Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately.

Mr. Reid-Anderson, 51, previously served as Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Dade Behring Holdings. Dade Behring emerged from Chapter 11 in September 2002 and under Reid-Anderson's guidance, Dade Behring established itself as a leader in customer excellence, innovation and shareholder value creation. In 2007, Dade Behring was sold to Siemens AG and following the completion of the transaction, Reid-Anderson served as CEO of the Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Division, and then was promoted to CEO of the Siemens Healthcare Sector and appointed a member of the Siemens Managing Board.

"Jim is an exceptional CEO, and he brings to Six Flags an outstanding track record of shareholder value creation," said Usman Nabi, Executive Chairman of the Board of Six Flags and Senior Partner at H Partners. "As past investors in Dade Behring, we understand the value Jim delivers to shareholders, and the Board is confident that he will repeat this success at Six Flags."

Mr. Nabi continued, "I'd like to acknowledge the tremendous work of Al Weber, who has served as Interim CEO over the last three months. Under Al's leadership, we've streamlined our operations and re-focused our organization on our core theme park business. Al's deep industry experience will complement Jim's capabilities."

Mr. Nabi will continue to serve as a Director and a member of the Executive Committee of Six Flags while Mr. Weber will transition to the role of Chief Operating Officer.

"I am very excited to be joining Six Flags' dedicated group of employees and to build upon the momentum already underway at the Company," said Reid-Anderson. "With its strong portfolio of theme parks and improved capital structure, the Company is very well positioned for the long term. I look forward to enhancing the experience for our guests and continuing to build value for our stakeholders."

Prior to joining Dade Behring, Reid-Anderson held various financial and operational positions at Wilson Sporting Goods, PepsiCo, and Grand Metropolitan PLC, and currently serves as a Director on the Boards of Brightpoint, Inc. and Stericycle, Inc. He is a fellow of the UK Association of Chartered Accountants and received an Honors Degree in Commerce from the University of Birmingham, UK.

About Six Flags

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation, a publicly-traded corporation headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is the largest regional theme park operator in the world with 19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada.

I hope I am wrong but he sounds more Wall Street concerned than theme park experienced. :(

As long as he sees the parks as entertainment destinations instead of investment opportunities, he should do well. Hopefully he'll raise enough capital on the company end that Weber can work with. Right now the company should be focusing on selling more stock and assessing each park on an individual basis to see what each one needs to become a well rounded regional entertainment empire.

More importantly, I'd like to see the end of the bombardment of advertisements and the end of the locker policy. Both are unnecessary and are really customer unfriendly. When parks of a similarr size can operate efficiently without both of those, then there's no reason why we can't.

I just wish someone with a "good vision" of what Six Flags should be, has a chance to realize it. I like the "family first" view Shapiro had, but we'll never know how it would of went with him at the helm now. I hope the "new team" in place, stay's there for a while as long as they do a good job.

James Reid-Anderson NEEDS to read this AND RUN THE PARKS BY IT!

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201008/2058/

I especially like this point in the article-

"Six Flags, unlike its competitors Disney, Universal and SeaWorld, has no executive or division in charge of creative attraction design. Your predecessor didn't see this as a need for Six Flags, and the company failed to connect with the lucrative family travel market as a result.

Your first task, as President/CEO, should be to create a new division within the company, Six Flags Creative, and to hire a veteran attraction designer as corporate Chief Creative Officer [CCO] to oversee it. This individual should have experience with either Disney Imagineering or Universal Creative (or with both) and a proven record as a project manager. Six Flags Creative should be charged with all attraction selection, design and installation at all Six Flags theme parks. It should oversee all entertainment development at the parks, as well as park site design and maintenance. The CCO also should have final say on all park advertising and promotional campaign. Six Flags' CCO and Six Flags Creative should be creating a strong brand identity for Six Flags, one that is expressed through advertising, marketing and the in-park entertainment and attraction experiences."

I mean there are a lot of things the design team works on and they get proposed, but when it comes down to it, the money hasn't been there for the past few years.

Remember Dubai and all the other Six Flags branded projects that never came off the drawing boards...all that stuff was also R&D for the US parks, financed by overseas backers. Anything that worked would have been cloned for the US parks (after someone else footed the bill for the design and building a prototype).

There are TONS of things that have been proposed and even gone into intricate design details, but there is never enough capital to make them all happen.

I know a lot of things...of course more than anything I know EVERYTHING is subject to change. So much of the park having a good season or a bad season is based on outside factors like weather, the economy, what happens at other parks, etc., so having a good 2011 is something we can all hope for, but we have little control over.

The one thing I know right now is that we have a fierce advocate for the park in Mark Kane and he has a lot of big ideas for the park's future. On top of that I know that the new corporate level people are big believers in GA and its potential.

If I heard correctly, the parks themselves will have more control over what they add and how they operate their parks so the days of corporate micromanaging appear to be over. This new team appears to be so far more interested on advertising the parks as an entertainment option for consumers instead of building a national brand vehicle to profit off of corporate partnerships. It was a good idea to help bring the company out of the red but now, with the new common stock issued and a lot of debt cleared away, we should expect to see more emphasis on the regional parks instead of the national company.

I'd love to see them do like Cedar Fair does and make the park names come first and have "A Six Flags Entertainment Park" underneath. This could really help to show the public and Wall Street that it is a new company with new direction.

I mean there are a lot of things the design team works on and they get proposed, but when it comes down to it, the money hasn't been there for the past few years.

They can't keep using money as an excuse forever. It takes money to do everything they've done, they just have not used the money wisely ( Bizarro ). Instead of giving every ride a separate, non-cohesive theme ( which does cost money ), use the same amount of money to theme all the rides to go together.

I agree, I like the theming on TDK for example but I would ride a regular outdoor wild mouse just as much.

The new stuff added from Medusa to Bizarro was cool but I would have rather seen them spend the money on opening the SBNO rides or adding a new family flat.

Edited by Yoshi
I agree, I like the theming on TDK for example but I would ride a regular outdoor wild mouse just as much.

NO! Theming is what keeps people comign back. The pure thrill of being able to come back and find new details in the theming you didnt realize before give the ride a whole new experience worth coming back!

Yes. I agree with everything people are saying (if it supports theming).

Great Adventure used to be such a magical place. Amusement parks are meant to be an escape from the real world, and we don't need ads reminding us about the outside world. Especially if the ads aren't family friendly. Six Flags TV has an ad that says "Bad-ass" in it, and why would Six Flags have that if they wanted to be a family friendly park? Disney would never DARE say a curse in the park.

The park needs to cut the ads back. If they have companies that support rides, they can have small signs like they do at Disney. The park needs to have more cohesively themed sections. There should be special music for each section of the park, not the pop garbage that there is now in most of the park. Even Cedar Fair parks have better music playing. "Tik Tok" is in NO WAY a family friendly song, and I've heard it at the park on numerous occasions.

I like the assigned seating idea, and the park should also have some pride for itself and its history. I'd love to see a Balloon Race themed to the Great Adventure Balloons of the 70's, those posters of each themed section they used to have outside the park, and some historical things from the park, like old ride cars and stuff like that.

This is new Six Flags management - and we need to tell them what we want.

Oh yeah, and a drop tower. Thanks.

If I heard correctly, the parks themselves will have more control over what they add and how they operate their parks so the days of corporate micromanaging appear to be over

If thats true, and what I heard on this site about Mark Kane being a strong beleiver in the potential of gadv, the future could get VERY interesting

Even Cedar Fair parks have better music playing. "Tik Tok" is in NO WAY a family friendly song, and I've heard it at the park on numerous occasions.

I also don't understand why they play so much Disney music in the park. Almost like advertising for the competition.

The music changes with the Top 20 pop songs it would seem. I'm glad they've kept Movietown's music as being movie soundtracks, but the rest of the park is drowned in top 20 pop songs, most likely to streamline the sound system of the park and synchronize them across the park.

With all of this management shake up though, it will be interesting to see how things shape up not only for next year, but also for Fright Fest.