Our forums are back up and running! Sorry for the interruption.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg 2011-2012 Expansion Announcements

GAcoaster

That's just a small part of it.

From the Busch Garden Blog:

Your Williamsburg Parks Undergo Big Changes

September 8, 2010

I know the rumors have been circling for some time, and today I want everyone to know the wait is almost over. Soon, we’ll unveil our two-year expansion plan for Busch Gardens and Water Country USA.

We’re re-imagining the look and feel of some of the most recognizable areas of Busch Gardens, and we’re revitalizing both parks with new attractions for your enjoyment. Here’s a video to whet your appetite …

We’ll share all of the details on Sept. 18 during our Pass Member Appreciation Weekend, on this blog and on our website – www.BuschGardens.com/BigNews.

Work will begin soon after the announcement. Construction will take place when the park is closed, but observant guests will see evidence of the work when they visit during Howl-O-Scream and Christmas Town.

Mark your calendars for Sept. 18. We can’t wait to share the details with you.

John Reilly

Park President

Busch Gardens and Water Country USA

Hopefully a family or medium sized coaster is being planned. They have one of the most unbalanced coaster collections out there. A kiddie coaster which other than enthusiasts riding for the credit is only going to be for little kids, 3 coasters that go upside down and a hyper. No coasters for anyone who is too big for a kiddie coaster and doesn't want to go upside down or want to ride a mega coaster.

Have you been to Busch Gardens? I agree that they need a family coaster like Dark Knight that can be enjoyed by all, but the sesame street coaster's layout is similar to balckbeard. Their coaster collection is more balanced than our park.

speaking of Busch needing a family coaster and big things are coming, how about we trade Skull or Dark Knight for DarKastle ;)

I have been there a few times but I think we have a way more balanced coaster collection. We have Road Runner Railway and Blackbeard's for the tame coasters, TDK, Skull Mountain, Runaway Mine Train and Rolling Thunder for intermediate coasters and everything else for thrill coasters.

I'm a little nervous about the "re-imagining the look and feel". I hope the new owners are not planning on destroying the park's atmosphere. I was there last week and they already are blaring pop music throughout the park like Six Flags, it really kills the atmosphere of old Europe.

It's a great theme park and it will be a real shame if they ruin it. It's so successful, popular, and respected I can't imagine why they feel the need to "re-imagine" it.

I'm just holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed that they don't do anything stupid.

A new themed area would be great, but changing the "look and feel of some of the most recognizable areas" would be disastrous. The look and feel of that park is what makes it so great. It provides great coasters and thrill rides for younger guests in a beautiful atmosphere that older guests enjoy. There is something for every age group, which is what Six Flags lacks.

Sorry for the double post, but i think I cracked the code of this announced(for the theme park atleast)

The trailer syas they are renovating one of the most recognizable areas of Busch Gardens. Well, what I consider, and what I think most people consider, the most "recognizable" area of Busch gardens is Germany/Oktoberfest. If we read screamscape, it was mentioned this tower ride will be built on Big Bad Wolf's old location, wich is in, would you guess it, Germany! Although it's not huge, I think what they meant by "changing the area" is adding a new major attraction that will take guests attention away from more recognizable areasof the park.

Also, did you notice every1 in the trailer is looking UP! Have you ever seena drop tower that's not high in tha air? ;)

That's a possibility. But will adding a new attraction in Germany really change the "look and feel" of the area? They also made it plural, "some..areas". What other areas are they changing?

Maybe they are planning to change a theme altogether, as they did by changing Hastings to Ireland. I miss Hastings. To me it was the heart of the park.

Maybe they will be doing something with Scotland, since the Clydesdales are gone and the Loch Ness Monster is the only thing in that area now.

I just hope they do not change the whole "old Europe" theme and feeling with something more "exciting". I'm afraid the music change is the first step in that direction. It would alienate a huge demographic they have been very successful attracting, adults and seniors, that have a lot of time and money to spend at theme parks.

Also, they use the word "expansion". Putting an attraction where they removed one would not really be an expansion, nor would changing the theme of an existing area.

So the impression I'm getting is that they are going to be adding additional area to the park as well as changing something about existing areas.

Again, whatever they do I hope they do not ruin the great atmosphere of the park.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that they always seem to do smart growth with equal emphasis on thrills and the overall experience. I love that the announcements were just as much about the new expansion of Christmas Town, the new Pretzel Market and Beer Garden, re-theme of the Oktoberfest area, re-introduction of street performers as part of that re-theme, a drop tower, a new waterslide complex and a new launched coaster. This is how you run a well rounded park!

It reminds me of the announcement for the Golden Kingdom where it really had something for everyone.

I love that they always seem to do smart growth with equal emphasis on thrills and the overall experience. I love that the announcements were just as much about the new expansion of Christmas Town, the new Pretzel Market and Beer Garden, re-theme of the Oktoberfest area, re-introduction of street performers as part of that re-theme, a drop tower, a new waterslide complex and a new launched coaster. This is how you run a well rounded park!

It reminds me of the announcement for the Golden Kingdom where it really had something for everyone.

like I said, if GA were run that way, we;d be a much BETTER PARK!

like I said, if GA were run that way, we;d be a much BETTER PARK!

Absolutely, but unfortunately there's no consistency with each change in ownership and management for SF. Busch was built by the same people who run it now so there could be a much more consistent flow to the park's development and re development over time.

it's not the change in management, it's just each time the park changes management their polar opposites. under Shapiro we "had a plan" like Busch but now we got stupid Anderson I mean look at our history

1974-Leroy(theming)

1975-(no theming)

1978-Six Flags(no theming, but the latest and greatest to be added each year)

1987-(emphasis on family)

1992-TIme Warner(emphasis on theming and quality)

1999-Premier(thrills/family

2000-Premier(thrills ONLY)

2006-RedZone(families, theming)

2010-Reid-Anderson ????????

Not true-

Premier- Well done theme elements when they wanted to (Hurricane Harbor, Houdini, Golden Kingdom, Plaza del Carnaval)

Red Zone- Removal of theme elements with the addition of Johnny Rockets, Cold Stone Creamery, Papa John's, etc taking the place of themed restaurants

Current management- Actually adding theme to the rides being installed.

EVERY management/ownership change has been changing horses mid stream as new managers rush to put their stamp on the brand, they try, then they pretty much go back to the status quo after a couple of years. Just when things start going the right direction with multi year plans taking shape and more broad visions for well rounded and complete offerings and improvements.

Busch started off with a plan for a theme park, they kept it a theme park all along as they added thrills. They understand that the atmosphere, the shows the food and the overall experience are just as important as the next big thing in thrill rides. Look at their neighbors up the road who started at the same time with the same ideas (a themed experience with thrill rides) has slowly evolved into an amusement park as each management change has thrown aside the theme elements to add more thrills to make the quick buck. Thrills bring teens and young adults who spend money on games, and snacks and other crap. That makes a quick buck with the increases in revenue, but requires constantly building "the next big thing" to keep it going. The problem with that is then you have to deal with image problems as adults and families don't want to be in a park full of teens hanging out. When you go to Busch you see very few groups of teens, instead you mainly see families enjoying the day together.

those were kind of overall generalzation based on attractions, so you might have a different opinion.

I really don't see the reason why Kane was axed. I could live with shapiro leaving, but Mark leaving meant the whole park might change.

Six fLags needed Webber. The reason Busch and Disney are so sucessful is because their I guess non-bias parks(whole family). Each change of management SF has is "bias"(kiddie areas, coasters, flats, theming). Thats why were never balanced.

Now if each new management didnt "erase" the last, we'd have a more balanced park. If the WOL flats didn't leave, i could give a rats a$$ about getting more coasters, and if all of tIme warners hard work to theme the park was still around, I would hope it would be continued.

Current management- Actually adding theme to the rides being installed.

They give each ride a different theme that has nothing to do with each other, or the park itself which does not have a theme. They just don't understand the concept of themeing.

A carnival has a bunch of rides with unrelated themes, a theme park has a park with themes and rides that fit those themes.

Six Flags treats their parks like large carnivals. People expect much more from a theme park and are very dissappointed by Six Flags.

Absolutely, but unfortunately there's no consistency with each change in ownership and management for SF. Busch was built by the same people who run it now so there could be a much more consistent flow to the park's development and re development over time.

Busch wasn't built by the same people that run it now. They sold the parks to InBev, who then sold them to Blackstone.