Universal Studios Florida Closing Jaws Attraction

It has officially been announced:

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we're planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it's a VERY important part of our history. So, we've got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it's hard to say goodbye, but we can't express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we're going to be bringing you.

There's an interesting (and odd) rumor that this may become an expansion of Wizarding World of Harry Potter with the Hogwarts Express connecting the two parks/areas. It's an intriguing idea, but not very practical in park logistics.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been rumors about it's official closure all year. As sad as I am to see my favorite part of the park go, I'm not entirely surprised. I haven't heard this rumor about it being a Wizarding World expansion, but who knows, it could be true. Or it could be Transformers like in California.

Reaper.gif

-Dainan

UO.png

It is interesting, "5th Avenue" runs through the backstage area directly from the WWoHP area to the Amity/Jaws area, so there is a direct route that a Hogwarts Express could take...and that would have to be some kind of dark ride/experience where the whole train was enclosed to hide the backstage buildings/roads,etc. It's intriguing to think about but sounds expensive...

Just rode Jaws and looking at it (short line, encroaching buildings, dated technology) I can easily see why they're pulling the plug. Yes, it's corny fun, but it uses a HUGE crew to run it, and maintaining the props and boats has got to be a nightmare. Just like with Kong and Back to the Future, I have a feeling no matter what they build to replace it will be an upgrade, and probably a HUGE upgrade in terms of drawing power and ridership.

Got the Email about the closing of Jaws, very sad news. Soon Universal won't have any Universal themed rides left. I would not be surprised if they just upgrade and retheme Jaw's existing ride system like with BTTF and Earthquake.

Edited by The Master

My room mate pointed out that 5th avenue is the only way for Universal Team Members to get to IOA. There has also been a lot of talk today among the Universal Team Members that J.K. Rowling only has full control over the area in IOA. If they were to expand it to USF they would have to a separate agreement. Another thing being said is that being it's such a big area, it might be something entirely different. Universal has been doing surveys for almost a year now about what new area the guests would like to see. Some of the areas consisted of Lord of The RIngs, Transformer, Star Treck, etc. There's a lot of rumors flying around down here. This should get interesting as time rolls ondetective.gif

-Dainan

As good as it was, "Jaws" is not relevant anymore. The idea of Hogwart's Express running to an area that you can only get to from riding it, is very interesting. Could be a nightmare though. Maybe the only entrance to the area will be from Hogwart's Express, with exit's to the surrounding area's that you won't need a train Ride to. But with the Hobbit Movies coming soon, would love to see "Lord Of The Ring's".

So the word going around is that Jaws and Amity will be replaced with the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter Phase 2.I've heard a few different things,one being it will connect both parks by the Hogwarts Express and Amity being the London/Diagon Alley part of the HUGE area and that they will still take over Lost Continent and expand there as well and possibly make Sinbad a Gringotts attraction.

But I have heard that they may charge you for a Multipark ticket to get into both which I hope is not the case.

But whatever does happen,this project will be massive.

Edited by Mike13

Charging for a multipark ticket is the only way it will work.

I mean I understand where they are coming from,but I don't like the idea at all and I am a huge supporter of anything Universal/IOA.I really would just rather they keep everything in one park.Hollywood's Potter is reportedly going to be announced tomorrow so maybe something about Orlando will be said as well.

Edited by Mike13

Well, if the rumor is true there will be two DIFFERENT Harry Potter attractions, that way they get people to go to BOTH parks. It actually makes a lot of sense putting the London side attractions of Diagon Alley (Gringots Bank, The Leaky Cauldron, etc.) in one place, then you could board the Hogwarts Express from there to get to Hogsmeade/Hogwarts which is what has already been built in IOA. It could be the COMPLETE experience that way as well as spreading the crowds out between two sections in two parks.

This is a very smart idea on the part of Universal if it is true. They have two great parks there and getting more people into see them will get them in once, and keep them coming back. Too many people just do Disney and don't realize what they're missing by not visiting Universal.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...seems like plans have been "leaked" to Theme Park Insider. Funny how they just happened to leak out the same day as Disney is set to make a "BIG" announcement on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. What do you think people will be talking about...Disney staying open for 24 hours one day in February or a Gringott's Bank coaster, and more? :D