Universal Studios Florida Closing Jaws Attraction

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just like my first visit to Universal Studios Florida in 1991 again! No Jaws and a walled off Amity Harbor. Universal Orlando lost their "Jungle Cruise". It's a real shame, as the attraction could be enjoyed by the whole family. If you traveled with a disabled guest, they could even remain in their non-electric wheelchair to ride. For me, it's a bigger loss than "Back to the Future". Sadly, "Disaster", "Twister", "Terminator 3D", and "Fear Factor Live!" remain.

I still miss "Kongfrontation". Another major loss in my opinion. I do like "The Mummy", but I long to see Kong again.

I have a feeling that a Hogwarts express ride between the two parks may be a real PITA. It would be major transportation and would need to be very high capacity. Could end up like the old AK boats.

No Jaws and a walled off Amity Harbor. Universal Orlando lost their "Jungle Cruise". It's a real shame, as the attraction could be enjoyed by the whole family.

I still miss "Kongfrontation". Another major loss in my opinion. I do like "The Mummy", but I long to see Kong again.

Jaws and Kongfrontation were my two favorite attractions at USF. It seems that once again a higher thrill ride will be added at the expense of a true family experience.

Jaws and Kongfrontation were my two favorite attractions at USF. It seems that once again a higher thrill ride will be added at the expense of a true family experience.

Even on its closing day, we didn't witness a wait time more than 15 minutes... we heard it got up to 45 at some point, but that still speaks volumes about its popularity.

^ Was that because of cold temps and Jaws being a water-based ride?

Every time I have been there the line was just as long as the other newer attractions.

It was about 70 here on Monday, and very sunny - much warmer than when we rode Splash Mountain together in 2009! Since moving down here, we really haven't seen more than a 2-boat wait...

Yeah, even though the parks have been busy down here for the past few weeks and the weather has been good, Jaws has had short lines. I was expecting the lines to get long just because it was closing and so was Universal apparently since they had all of the overflow queues setup. It just never seemed to happen.

I havent ridden Jaws in years so if it's true about the lack of capacity i can manage to take some sense out of the situation, although I still dont agree with it. However, rides like Kongfrontation and BTTF NEVER had short lines whenever I went, from the opening of the park up untill their closings, so the same argument cant be used there

I havent ridden Jaws in years so if it's true about the lack of capacity i can manage to take some sense out of the situation, although I still dont agree with it. However, rides like Kongfrontation and BTTF NEVER had short lines whenever I went, from the opening of the park up untill their closings, so the same argument cant be used there

Jaws, King Kong and BTTF are franchises that are no longer relevant... The ride may have been top-of-the line when the park opened twenty years ago, but now it's laughable. Universal's niche is cutting edge, and the park is in a very competitive area...

BTTF is still a relevant franchise, the Simpsons are probably more irrelevant since they have not had a good episode since the 90s, and even their movie is becoming old and forgotten now. Heck that old Jimmy ride didn't last as long as the HB ride before it. I think what will happen now is that may of their rides based on non-Universal franchises will have a much quicker turn over than in past years. I can see the Simpsons being changed to something else before the end of the decade.

Edited by The Master

BTTF is still a relevant franchise

The third and final film in the series was released in 1990 - 22 years ago.

the Simpsons are probably more irrelevant since they have not had a good episode since the 90s, and even their movie is becoming old and forgotten now.

Regardless of what you may think of the series' quality (which is subjective), it's still on the air - worldwide - in Japanese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Québécois.

Heck that old Jimmy ride didn't last as long as the HB ride before it... I can see the Simpsons being changed to something else before the end of the decade.

That's very possible, but with every changeover, they examine it's technology and make improvements. I grew up with Hanna Barbera cartoons and love their cast of characters, but I'm realistic enough to acknowledge they no longer resonate with the majority of people. Will Despicable Me last forever? I doubt it... but Universal is a park that's ever-changing, moving forward, setting the bar...

I think the size of the plot that Jaws occupies, its location in proximity to IOA (if they really are building HP and connecting with a train) as well as maintenance costs all added up to the decision. They theoretically had the same amount of area on the other side of the park if they removed ET and the area where they knocked down the original Hard Rock, but ET probably costs a lot less to keep running, is a BELOVED story (though not one of my favorites), and since Spielberg is a partner with Universal and both were his movies, I would imagine that film being one of his favorites may mean special consideration would be given to removing it.

I know they are in the process of moving some of the backstage services buildings as well, so it may be they needed (and are taking) even MORE land than Jaws occupied which the ET side doesn't have.

Universal Orlando could have chosen to remove "Disaster" and Fisherman's Wharf to incorporate "Harry Potter" into the studios park. They also could have finished removing "The Lost Continent" remnants (i.e "Poseidon's Fury") and completed the "Harry Potter" experience within Islands of Adventure. "Jaws" has been cited for removal more than once. Supposably, it's an expensive attraction to operate due to excessive accelerant (either propane or butane) and effects cost.

If urban fokelore is true, "E.T." isn't leaving Universal Studios Florida ever. Steven Speilberg has (allegedly) contractually obligated Universal to operate this attraction through the duration of their partnership. It's valid only at the Orlando park.

They also could have finished removing "The Lost Continent" remnants (i.e "Poseidon's Fury") and completed the "Harry Potter" experience within Islands of Adventure.

They still may be removing the rest of Lost Continent if the rumors are true. This could be a HUGE expansion with more in IOA as well as a new section in USF. Harry Potter has really brought a LOT of guests into Universal and kudos to them for doing something smart and really capitalizing on it. While the movies may have run their course, children will keep reading the books and watching the movies for years to come. I really see Harry Potter as this generation's Wizard of Oz and even people who aren't necessarily die hard fans can and will enjoy HP related attractions for years to come.

It certainly seems a lot more evergreen than Avatar...

"The Lost Continent" remnants (i.e "Poseidon's Fury") and completed the "Harry Potter" experience within Islands of Adventure.
From what we're hearing down here, that is part of the plan...

Still I can't help but think that this decision to close Jaws was not something USF has been debating for planning for along time, it just seems so rushed in nature....

This:
"Jaws" has been cited for removal more than once. Supposedly, it's an expensive attraction to operate due to excessive accelerant (either propane or butane) and effects cost.

From Jim Hill Media:

Mind you, even with all of this heavy-duty, guaranteed-not-to-quit equipment that Oceaneering Technologies, Inc. had provided, "Jaws" was still something of a maintenance nightmare. Not to mention being prohibitively expensive to operate. Just the natural gas that was needed to fuel this USF attraction's fiery finale cost the theme park $2 million annually. Which is why - after "Jaws" was officially re-opened in the Summer of 1993 with a gala ceremony that Roy Scheider, Lorraine Gary and Spielberg himself attended - this attraction gradually shifted from being a year-round ride to becoming something of a seasonal show. In fact, during the Fall of 2005 when natural gas prices spiked, Universal Studios Florida shut down "Jaws" entirely - citing the high cost of operating this attraction's exploding-fuel-dock sequence as the reason for this closure.
The third and final film in the series was released in 1990 - 22 years ago.

Still doesn't prove those films aren't still popular and enduring.

Regardless of what you may think of the series' quality (which is subjective), it's still on the air - worldwide - in Japanese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Québécois.

But it may not be on the air for much longer, and it's ratings have been plummeting every year even back when the ride opened. It made sense at the time since The Simpsons had a new movie coming out to tie the ride in with, but it's pretty forgotten now and the raitings are still going down.

Still doesn't prove those films aren't still popular and enduring.

But it may not be on the air for much longer, and it's ratings have been plummeting every year even back when the ride opened. It made sense at the time since The Simpsons had a new movie coming out to tie the ride in with, but it's pretty forgotten now and the raitings are still going down.

OK, here goes: the "future" segments of the franchise take place in 2015, and now look totally dated... not enduring. As for the Simpsons, what I'm trying to drive home is that they are popular worldwide - and Orlando's percentage of non-US tourists is growing every year. If ratings are "plummeting" so, why would FOX renew the show each year?

BACK ONTO THE TOPIC OF JAWS.