Rumor: Rolling Thunder Getting Updated for 2013

This was posted over on Theme Park Review:

Hey everyone!

I work as a mechanic for great adventure. Right now, we are in the process of completely retracking Rolling Thunder. The updated ride will be much smoother. We purchased 4 new PTC trains. Each has 2 lapbars per row (sorry) but no seatbelts. The skids will now be magnetic brakes.

Sounds good right?

Interesting, and if it's true, VERY welcome news! This is what I have been saying RT has needed for years now. :)

I am really happy to hear this. The loading has been horrible for the ride where a line in the station can take 20 minutes (I know it isn't the ride ops fault since they have to check to make sure each buzzbar is lowered then check the seatbelts). I guess this also means 2 trains can run in the rain now on each side.

I'll be riding it a lot more each season now.

The trains have needed a rebuild/replace for many years now. I'm glad to hear they are going with PTC trains and I wonder if they will be 3-bench or 2-bench? If they go with 2 (like most modern coasters have now) they may have to reconfigure the station slightly.

Of course, this is all just a rumor, but we should get some confirmation soon.

Hopefully 3 bench. Even though the ride won't be as rough, I'd still prefer to ride in a non wheel seat when I can since it is so much smoother.

If it's true, I know someone who will be very happy!!!

gallery_4_542_4445.jpg

Hahaha! Wow. There's one of many pictures of me I'll never live down rolleyes.gif. It would be pretty awesome if this is true. As much as I love the nostalgia of the skid brakes, the buzz bars, and the manual operation of the ride. It desperately needs an update. Not to mention that a new braking system and trains would help with the ride's efficiencybanana2.gif

Edited by CycloneMan

Hahaha! Wow. There's one of many pictures of me I'll never live down rolleyes.gif. It would be pretty awesome if this is true. As much as I love the nostalgia of the skid brakes, the buzz bars, and the manual operation of the ride. It desperately needs an update. Not to mention that a new braking system and trains would help with the ride's efficiencybanana2.gif

Hahaha I love the picture Dainan. I'm kind of skeptical about this retracking of RT. We'll just have to wait and see.

^ What are your concerns? I think it sounds great. I've been asking about this for years.

Don't get me wrong, this upgrade would be amazing, but I just feel like something is off about that post?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this rumor is false. If you look here, TheChiller15 confirms that this is a false rumor.

Edited by batmanrobinchiller