Our forums are back up and running! Sorry for the interruption.

2016 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

I was talking in general KK456 - it wasn't meant to be targeted at you. A lot of people think Green Lantern doesn't "count" because it was rotated into GA, regardless of the fact that it cost millions and is a major B&M coaster.

As for X2, I just used it as an example as it's one of the more unique coaster experiences.

I count it as a credit, but still feel a bit cheated as it was a decade old when it got moved here, is B&M's worst style ride, and was our only major coaster addition in the last 9 years (while removing Chiller, RT and GASM in the last 8). We were right there with CP as the best coaster lineup in the world back in 06, and I feel it's regressed since then, while most of the other flagship SF parks have gotten significantly stronger in that department.

Still, it could be worse...GL could have easily been Apocalypse, and El Toro is still topping all the coaster polls :)

The park hasn't gotten a new coaster since 2006. Although it might not seem like it's needed, it is definitely time for a new coaster. And they've added flats for 4 straight seasons now. It's time for Six Flags to show one of its best parks some love, and add a new coaster.

I couldn't have said it better myself we could use some flats but in the past 5 years we got 3 flats a relocated coaster and a safari expansion to make our park the biggest in the world we can't complain but we are quite over due for a new coaster and green lantern counts as a coaster its still a coaster just a relocation its not the best coaster but it's still something new for the park

Edited by TopThrills

I count it as a credit, but still feel a bit cheated as it was a decade old when it got moved here, is B&M's worst style ride, and was our only major coaster addition in the last 9 years (while removing Chiller, RT and GASM in the last 8). We were right there with CP as the best coaster lineup in the world back in 06, and I feel it's regressed since then, while most of the other flagship SF parks have gotten significantly stronger in that department.

Still, it could be worse...GL could have easily been Apocalypse, and El Toro is still topping all the coaster polls :)

I think you confuse "the most" with "the best". There is a difference between having a lot of coasters and having the best coasters. I do not believe the park has regressed by getting rid of 3 coasters that were not very good. I think the company would benefit greatly in the future by adding fewer coasters and making what they do add really worth it. Spend time and money creating a unique, quality attraction, giving it an appropriate theme with themed elements, and creating an immersive atmosphere instead of just throwing some mass-produced piece of crap on a slab of cement and slapping a plywood cutout of a superhero on it.

How about compact coaster like Fahrenheit and Maverick? I just hope it's unique. We already have record breakers.

Those rides have capacity issues, and are made by Intamin. Two things Six Flags has been staying away from in recent years.

I wouldn't mind even having a Stunt Coaster like KD and Ki have... Mid size, families could ride it, nice theming and not a large footprint. Curious on the cost of that type of ride.

If you're not going to count Green Lantern as a new coaster then you have to remember the Dark Knight Coaster was a brand new roller coaster in 2008. that you can not argue with lol.

And people thought TDK was the absolute worst, but yet it provided a themed family friendly experience that hardly ever breaks down, is very dependable, going on its 8th season at the park and will probably not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Those rides have capacity issues, and are made by Intamin. Two things Six Flags has been staying away from in recent years.

Six Flags did install Batman at SFFT, and the superloops. Also, I don't think they've stopped working with Intamin, as Lex Luthor and Zumanjaro were recent Intamin installations. A coaster from them is not in the works, but they haven't necessarily eliminated them like Cedar Fair seems to have.

I think you confuse "the most" with "the best". There is a difference between having a lot of coasters and having the best coasters. I do not believe the park has regressed by getting rid of 3 coasters that were not very good. I think the company would benefit greatly in the future by adding fewer coasters and making what they do add really worth it. Spend time and money creating a unique, quality attraction, giving it an appropriate theme with themed elements, and creating an immersive atmosphere instead of just throwing some mass-produced piece of crap on a slab of cement and slapping a plywood cutout of a superhero on it.

No, there is no confusion...I'd take Chiller, GASM and RT over GL, TDK and El Diablo any day of the week. In the quality AND quantity aspect the park is worse off in the coaster department than it was 8 years ago.

I think that Six Flags in general (and at GA in particular) should try to follow the model that the SeaWorld/Busch parks have used (or at least up until now) where they build custom coasters that withstand the test of time, but space them out over time. Each of the Busch parks and SeaWorld Orlando and Texas just has a few coasters, but they are all GOOD coasters, custom designed to the site and themed well. I would also say to those who poo-poo B&M that they build coasters that are reliable, guests love and will build whatever a park wants. If the company purchasing the coaster wants standard, off the shelf rides with limited force or thrills (although I have yet to find one that is as boring or dull as some have made them out to be), that's their fault, not B&M's. Several of their more recent rides are excellent and even the ones they have built for Six Flags that have been custom designed are excellent (Nitro being a perfect example).

That being said, I think the next addition to GA will be a Justice League dark ride. Just a hunch...

I'd say a Justice League dark ride is a very good possibility. The only reason I'd be hesitant to say for sure is Fort Independence closing (if it is for good). That would open up a huge plot of prime land for a very large new ride, something much larger than a dark ride, which I could see built either in the Boardwalk or Old Country.

And that may be, but chances are if the Aqua Stadium needs to be demolished it will cost a fortune. The site may get cleared but I doubt they will have the money or time to build something to replace it anytime soon.

One of the things I have heard was in the works for years was re-building/replacing the children's areas of the park to create one central children's section. Removal of the Aqua Stadium would create a great area for kid's stuff to be placed, extending the existing BBNP to fill the entire Lakefront. Moving and retheming the existing attractions from LTSP/Safari Kids would just make sense and be a good 2017 project, then in 2018 they could add a coaster either in the area where LTSP is or one of the many other areas of the park that have space for a new attraction.

That being said, I think the next addition to GA will be a Justice League dark ride. Just a hunch...

I'd say a Justice League dark ride is a very good possibility. The only reason I'd be hesitant to say for sure is Fort Independence closing (if it is for good). That would open up a huge plot of prime land for a very large new ride, something much larger than a dark ride, which I could see built either in the Boardwalk or Old Country.

Feel like I'm one out of mostly everyone, but I'm conflicted how I would feel about a JL Dark ride coming. Part of me thinks it'd be a 'meh' experience, but it would add a new experience and a attraction/ride for everyone to do. Also we see how some of the DK effects ended up, the last thing we need would be a heavily themed dark ride and the props etc crap out and not get fixed. In general I'm just on the fence how I feel about it.

Several of their more recent rides are excellent and even the ones they have built for Six Flags that have been custom designed are excellent (Nitro being a perfect example).

I agree completely. Six Flags has gotten fantastic custom rides, and Nitro is definitely the best example. Batman: The Ride is another good example, and it went so well it got cloned as we all know.

Now that most parks have a lot of coasters and limited space, it's a great time to be a coaster enthusiast as parks have to be especially creative with their ride's aspects (layout, theme, forces, elements, etc.). And now that most manufactures can provide exactly what the park asks for due to advances in technology, the phrase, "anything is possible" becomes a reality. I think though that the best coasters are made when there are tight restrictions; the designers have to really think outside the box and something beautiful results. Whereas if they are just free to build whatever they want, they tend to think inside the box. Skyrush is the perfect example; very tight space, and it had to maneuver around Comet, and look what resulted. Intimidator 305 counts too, kinda, because KD wanted to reduce the cost by using fewer supports, so Intamin came up with the double spine, and now it is possible for coasters to push g's to the riders limit without much strain on structure or the park's wallet. Those are the only two examples I can think of right now, but there are countless more.

Feel like I'm one out of mostly everyone, but I'm conflicted how I would feel about a JL Dark ride coming. Part of me thinks it'd be a 'meh' experience, but it would add a new experience and a attraction/ride for everyone to do. Also we see how some of the DK effects ended up, the last thing we need would be a heavily themed dark ride and the props etc crap out and not get fixed. In general I'm just on the fence how I feel about it.

Just remember Sally Corp has been around since the 70s they are not novices in this industry so I wouldn't worry too much about the effects crapping out. But I think if we choose to add a dark ride we should wait to see the publics response to the two JLA dark rides being added this year so for next year we can make our own version better and more reliable. Or just do a whole different theme in general.

Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags St. Louis have both acknowledged that the Justice League rides will need to be heavily maintained and will not let the effects crap out anytime soon. If that were to be the case at our park then i would welcome a dark ride with open arms.

Why demolish the fort? I'm sure most of the superstructure could be used for a ride station and queue area. But theming seems to be an issue. Like what themes do we have? Green Lantern and Superman are good and being next to eachother, sharing a common theme is good. But do you make rides fit a themed area or have the rides have seperate themes?

I love the idea of a stunt coaster, been on the one at King's Dominion. It was fun and exciting but I can't see Great Adventure maintaining that type of ride. Sure the first few years would be great but give it a lil time and elements will be taken away. (batman)

im thinking the Great Arena will be the first to go. It takes up lots of land. And Seeing how it sits 6,000 guest. And the concert series most times ony sees maybe half of it full. That might mean they will shift that to Aqua. seeing how it holds 3,000(?).

I think the Aqua Stadium is already done for good. If you look at the pool's from the Skyride they are not doing any maintinance on them at all, turning black. The stadium will never be used for an Animal show again. I look at those shows differently now anyway, i think Six Flags should just keep the California Park for all "Sea Animal" show's. But they have a few concert's a year that "sell out" the Arena and have to stop entry. Easter's concert a few weeks ago the place was full, or near it. And usually there is a good 4 or 5 show's a year that pack the park. I haven't looked at the announced lineup for this Summer yet, but usually the bigger acts will be added as the year goes on, and not announced this far off.