Jersey Devil Coaster - Now Open!

29yrswithaGApass

21 hours ago, EasternThrills said:

Something to celebrate is that the park has now placed all 3,000 feet of Steel I-beam track for the record breaking ride!!! 🎉 

Just in time before the nor easter. 

Some miscellaneous JDC stuff I think we'll see:

JDC station floor - metal composite deck with shear studs, slab reinforcement, and a concrete slab

COMPOSITE-STEEL-BEAM-1024x471.thumb.png.ba2e3a02f4efeaf083b46ec95306762b.png

Metal composite deck setup, photo by Dudley Engineering

Newport-01-main.jpg.ef43ae02bdbac23d9442cca0308263f5.jpg

Metal composite deck setup from below, photo by Henri de Marne

JDC guest path railings - Hollaender (Speed-Rail). Six Flags has been using Hollaender's Speed-Rail for their queue/exit systems for years now, and this relationship will most likely continue into 2021. 

https://www.hollaender.com/products/#

knotts_20berry_204.jpg.b40b1e8deb057fe5b60b8455dbb25909.jpg

Hollaender Speed-Rail on a coaster queue line, photo by Hollaender Mfg Co

If it has a lighting package, JDC will probably use the same LED flood light boards as Joker. These LEDs don't generate heat, are fairly inexpensive, and efficient. In terms of colors, I think we will see some warmer colors to complement the ride's color scheme.

LED Flood Lights | Outdoor Lighting | National Supply Company

LED flood light board, photo by National Supply Company

JDC brakes - MEGAMAG eddy current electromagnetic brakes. JDC will probably be the first raptor to utilize magnetic brakes over the skid friction brakes used on the earlier prototype models. With the prototype models, the trains did not have a long brake run to glide to a stop. Thus, these skid brakes were needed to be more aggressive with stopping trains since stopping distance was minimal. JDC has a longer brake run, allowing trains to coast to a stop less aggressively and much more smoothly with magnetic brakes over friction brakes. The eddy current brakes will most likely be less maintenance-intensive than the skid brakes as well. 

vd060l8d08i01.thumb.jpg.b537608f908639f14e187080082ee1e3.jpg

Skid brakes and drive tires on Railblazer at California's Great America, photo by cgaweekly via Reddit

hqdefault.jpg.fcbe2efb29b51fc8da0100393ddf39d0.jpg

MEGAMAG eddy current brake, photo by MEGAMAG

Because JDC will now have a fin under the train to use the eddy current brakes properly, dual friction drive tires will most likely be needed over the single drive tire positioned in the middle of the track. With the prototype models, the skid track under the train could also be utilized in conjunction with drive tires to speed up the train (refer to photo above for drive tires). With JDC, dual drive tires will be needed in conjunction with the fin to propel the trains along the track. 

1200px-Alpina_Bahn_friction_wheels.thumb.jpg.60f90edd1e534c3f89b0816cba10220b.jpg

Dual drive tire setup on a lift hill, photo by Wikipedia Commons

Much of this is speculation, but I thought it would be interesting to share considering we will see a lot of these components installed within the next few months!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Master said:

Wonder if they will redesign the station for COVID operations? 

Possibly. They may stick with the station setup that was planned for pre-COVID operations but not utilize the grouping area/guest staging markers on the ground (similar to what Wonder Woman did this year) and simply let people into the pre-load area from the stairs of the queue/flash pass line. Instead of grouping two trains at once they may also group one train at a time to maximize social distancing in the station. 

6 minutes ago, XENITH said:

Possibly. They may stick with the station setup that was planned for pre-COVID operations but not utilize the grouping area/guest staging markers on the ground (similar to what Wonder Woman did this year) and simply let people into the pre-load area from the stairs of the queue/flash pass line. Instead of grouping two trains at once they may also group one train at a time to maximize social distancing in the station. 

Wonder Woman wasn't even using the markers pre-COVID, at least during Holiday in the Park in 2019

1 minute ago, Pineracer said:

Wonder Woman wasn't even using the markers pre-COVID, at least during Holiday in the Park in 2019

I saw them use the markers sometimes when I went last year, but it wasn't much at all. I am not sure why this is; could be staffing related or that staging area feeling a bit overcrowded, but hopefully they can use them more with JDC because that would make operations much more efficient. JDC also depends more on efficient operations compared to Wonder Woman due to the continuous loading as well, so we'll just have to see how it all pans out. 

12 hours ago, The Master said:

The bad weather and deep snow are going to cause some construction delays now. 

Unfortunately yeah, probably an additional day or two on top of not working today. On the brighter side of things, crews are probably getting a nice little break after working so hard this past month to finish trackwork!

Here is a lift diagram I made for JERSEY DEVIL COASTER.

**NOT OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS. SCHEMATICS BY XENITH.WAV, 2021

This diagram simulates the appearance of the lift hill with the full assembly installed.

LIFT_DIAGRAM_2.thumb.jpg.2d200bddafcb60e82480ebc0e65a0909.jpg

This diagram depicts the chain system in further detail. Note the direction of travel.

LIFT_DIAGRAM.thumb.jpg.0cf9a019bba598937d0e57025729260a.jpg

The set-up for the lift motor/gear box is similar to that of Steel Vengeance. The main differences between the two are that (1) JDC's lift motor will most likely be at the base of the lift while Steel Vengeance's is at the top of the lift and (2) JDC's lift motor may feature up to three sprockets while I believe Steel Vengeance only has two sprockets on its motor. Here is a picture of Steel Vengeance's lift motor/gear box for reference:

DWLkGeMXUAAQUiM.thumb.jpeg.9caadde213df484efc4c62ff63d606ef.jpeg

The lift motor/gear box for Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point, photo by Tony Clark via Twitter.

The return chain trough will have a more hidden appearance compared to most other coasters, as it will be tucked away in a hollow box above each t-bar on the lift hill. Here is a photo of this same system on RailBlazer at California's Great America:

ezgif-7-1b3730c41101.jpg.b8e02ff0dbbbe77e4ef95f8a432e95ac.jpg

The head and idler beam assembly of RailBlazer at California's Great America, photo by cgaweekly via Reddit

Again, much of this is speculation, so these diagrams are largely based off of context clues and educated guesses. This diagram is bound to change once an official lift hill layout is revealed, but for now this is what I have developed. Hope you enjoy!

Edited by XENITH
  • Like 2

Happy almost-Friday! Normally, we would be expecting a new JDC update tomorrow. However, with the nor'easter that plowed through the east coast this week, I am starting to doubt that much work was done on site, if any at all. At the bare minimum crews may have worked some on Monday, but that is probably all. Likewise, a high chance of rain is predicted in tomorrow's forecast, so any work tomorrow is unlikely as well due to unfavorable weather conditions. The park may provide us with a small update tomorrow on some progress early in the week, but with ground-work as the main focus and inches of snow blanketing the site, we will most likely have to wait a bit before any major updates on the coaster.

On top of this, three days worth of snow is predicted in next week's forecast. Hopefully this week's snow will be mostly melted in time for next week so crews can continue work, and hopefully next week's predicted snow isn't as bad as this week. Given the extensive delays this week and further delays next week, crews will be slightly behind on progress but nothing that is too substantial to catch up with. Other than a possible update tomorrow from the park, these next few days should be pretty quiet in terms of Jersey Devil Coaster news. Have a great weekend everyone!

Edited by XENITH

I threw together a little diagram of JDC' station based on the information given in the last update. The color palette is rather interesting but from what I can see, we will have rust red/brown stairs and exit ramp, a silver steel skeleton structure for the station, and what I think is a brown corrugated iron roof. With this week's update, I am sure that we will learn more about what the station looks like and I will update this diagram if needed. Otherwise, below are two diagrams of the station: one with the iron roof and one without the iron roof. 

STN_1.thumb.jpg.53ab30ec98c90bebf0ba6f2279467e1a.jpg

STN_2.thumb.jpg.c09f1ad7df651aa6702be60a6971d15e.jpg

31 minutes ago, Urklore said:

Do we have pictures or the configuration on how the ride harness system will work. I seen the view in a previous video but i was hoping they adjust to accommodate larger guests like bizzarro. 

Yes, the park has previously provided photos of the coaster's trains. At the moment, we do not know the full configuration of the train. Due to the nature of the harnesses, I would assume that they would be able to accommodate larger riders similarly to Bizarro and other coasters at the park. Hopefully this harness system isn't as strict as rides like El Toro that are a bit less forgiving to larger guests, but we will have to wait and see.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, MarioSonic94 said:

So track work's gonna be finished by the end of the month.

Is it possible that Jersey Devil is gonna be the first coaster since Nitro to be up and running by opening day? 🤔

"The park will shatter three world records when it debuts a coaster of legendary proportions this summer—the tallest, fastest, and longest single-rail coaster."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210219005112/en/?fbclid=IwAR0Ps506OdAk4fJpwza8yESUkdz9wvIh2nc6SjdGjYDmvgvuGVDm41a9cVI

We can expect about 200 lockers for JERSEY DEVIL COASTER. This keeps up with several other rides at the park like Cyborg, El Toro, and Kingda Ka that all have 200 lockers as well. Depending on where the lockers are located in the ride plaza, we may see 2 sets of 100 lockers or 1 set of all 200 lockers. To read more about the lockers in specific, check out the PDF below from GoPod, the company that manufacturers the Six Flags lockers. With 200 total lockers and the standard configuration consisting of 5 tiers and 2 rows (10 lockers total), we will see a front and back row with 100 lockers each (10 standard configuration vestibules per side). Given 2 sets of 100 lockers, we will see two front and back rows with 50 lockers each (5 standard configuration vestibules per side). Given the space is more compact, we will likely see the latter. If GADV has some more space to work with, it is likely we will see the 1 set of all 200 lockers in one configuration. The 1 set configuration would require 2 networked kiosks while the 2 set configuration will likely require 4. 

L19-101-A_GoPodCutsheetWEB.pdf (safemark.com)