Jump to content
Welcome Back! ×

Jersey Devil Coaster - Now Open!


29yrswithaGApass
 Share

Recommended Posts

Out of all of these, I think the most cost effective one is probably the 100x2 configuration. This setup would only require one roof structure and would also require two kiosks instead of the four needed for both 50x4 configurations. Let me know if there are any other locker configurations you think are possible for a 200-locker setup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Through this new video, we got some valuable insight as to the future of the coaster, courtesy of Mr. Michael Reitz, Six Flags' Corporate Engineer.

 

Once the control room and station are complete, lift hill equipment and brakes need to be tested and installed; this includes the lift motor, lift chain, sprockets, actuators, eddy current magnetic brakes, and drive tires (pacers). The control system needs to be "ringed out," which involves testing all of the electrical components of the ride like proximity sensors. The transfer track needs to be tested, all bolts need to be given their final torques (bolts that are given the final torque are marked with colored ribbons), and the queue/landscaping must be completed.

 

Once the checklist above is complete, trains can be installed on the track. A pull through test must be conducted as well to check that the ride envelopes meet clearance specifications, Testing can now begin with acceleration tests for all transport zones of the ride, including the lift hill, brake run, transfer track, and station. Load tests are then conducted with water dummies to simulate human weight, and final acceleration tests are completed. The ride can now be inspected and certified by the state, to which the ride can hopefully open given these processes go smoothly. 

 

This a pretty rough outline of the next steps for the coaster, but it is promising to see progress moving along very steadily despite the weather conditions in the past few weeks. The park has mentioned on more than one occasion that JDC will open in the summer, so we will have to be patient and see how everything plays out over the next few months. A lot to be excited about!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that is still a mystery is what the station will look like and how extensive any theming may be. What would you like the station to look like?

 

I am thinking something along the lines of a rustic house or a barn. Something you would find deep in the woods of Leeds Point home of the devil.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

One thing that is still a mystery is what the station will look like and how extensive any theming may be. What would you like the station to look like?

 

I am thinking something along the lines of a rustic house or a barn. Something you would find deep in the woods of Leeds Point home of the devil.  

I'd love to see a very extensively themed station as well, something reminiscent of the Leeds Cabin depicted in the old folklores; very decrepit-looking and rustic.

 

Realistically, I think, we will probably end up seeing little to no Jersey Devil-related theming in the station. In the animation, the station's steel skeleton was a rich brown color and the roof was brown as well, so it appeared as though the station would resemble a cabin of some sorts. The station we have now has a blue-ish steel color with what I think is a brown corrugated roof, so I do not think that they are going for a more cabin style feel for the station. I think the most theming we will see is possibly some rustic style gas lanterns/chandeliers hanging from the ceiling to give off a more rustic feel, but I think that the park may be going for a more modern theme with the coaster instead of an older style one.

 

That being said, I am curious to see how they style the control room and maintenance building, as I'm sure those will indicate if the general theme of the ride leans more towards modern or rustic. Given the park runs with a more modern theme for the ride, I think we will see some rustic elements incorporated into the overall theming of the ride; I think we may see this best replicated in the ride's entrance portal, which is hopefully some sort of brick-columned entrance with an iron-clad gate perhaps to replicate that riders are entering the Jersey Devil's estate. 

 

Another thing to monitor in regards to the station is whether it remains open air or becomes enclosed. I think it is possible that the top of the station could be enclosed with the same steel framing as the maintenance shed, but I tend to doubt this possibility as practically all of the park's coaster stations are open air. I think the most we could see is something like El Toro's station, with an enclosed station and iron-clad fencing to fill the window gaps. I think this would enhance the look of the station nicely, and would also be a nice added safety measure given the station's proximity to the entrance of the zero-g roll. This appearance may be awkward given that the bottom half of the station would not be enclosed, so the park may decide to leave the station mostly open-air and put some relatively tall iron fences up instead. 

 

One underlying reason I don't think we will see too much theming in the station is due to the urgency of the ride's loading and unloading process. Because of the continuous loading, the park likely would not want to distract guests with too extensive or immersive of theming in the station so that their attention is on listening to pre-loading instructions from attendants and quickly and safely boarding the train. Compare this to other rides with continuous loading like Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure and The Dark Knight Coaster, where theming in the station is much more toned down compared to the theming in the queue line, and during the actual ride experience. 

Edited by XENITH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, XENITH said:

I'd love to see a very extensively themed station as well, something reminiscent of the Leeds Cabin depicted in the old folklores; very decrepit-looking and rustic.

 

Realistically, I think, we will probably end up seeing little to no Jersey Devil-related theming in the station. In the animation, the station's steel skeleton was a rich brown color and the roof was brown as well, so it appeared as though the station would resemble a cabin of some sorts. The station we have now has a blue-ish steel color with what I think is a brown corrugated roof, so I do not think that they are going for a more cabin style feel for the station. I think the most theming we will see is possibly some rustic style gas lanterns/chandeliers hanging from the ceiling to give off a more rustic feel, but I think that the park may be going for a more modern theme with the coaster instead of an older style one.

 

That being said, I am curious to see how they style the control room and maintenance building, as I'm sure those will indicate if the general theme of the ride leans more towards modern or rustic. Given the park runs with a more modern theme for the ride, I think we will see some rustic elements incorporated into the overall theming of the ride; I think we may see this best replicated in the ride's entrance portal, which is hopefully some sort of brick-columned entrance with an iron-clad gate perhaps to replicate that riders are entering the Jersey Devil's estate. 

 

Another thing to monitor in regards to the station is whether it remains open air or becomes enclosed. I think it is possible that the top of the station could be enclosed with the same steel framing as the maintenance shed, but I tend to doubt this possibility as practically all of the park's coaster stations are open air. I think the most we could see is something like El Toro's station, with an enclosed station and iron-clad fencing to fill the window gaps. I think this would enhance the look of the station nicely, and would also be a nice added safety measure given the station's proximity to the entrance of the zero-g roll. This appearance may be awkward given that the bottom half of the station would not be enclosed, so the park may decide to leave the station mostly open-air and put some relatively tall iron fences up instead. 

 

One underlying reason I don't think we will see too much theming in the station is due to the urgency of the ride's loading and unloading process. Because of the continuous loading, the park likely would not want to distract guests with too extensive or immersive of theming in the station so that their attention is on listening to pre-loading instructions from attendants and quickly and safely boarding the train. Compare this to other rides with continuous loading like Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure and The Dark Knight Coaster, where theming in the station is much more toned down compared to the theming in the queue line, and during the actual ride experience. 

I might have low expectations, but we will probably see a steel pavilion with metal roof as the station, and fire cut outs themed to red faced horned devil dude, which is by far is NOT what a Jersey Devil is supposed to be, if they are going to use Jersey folklore, get it right. Jersey Devil is not a literal devil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jollyroger said:

I might have low expectations, but we will probably see a steel pavilion with metal roof as the station, and fire cut outs themed to red faced horned devil dude, which is by far is NOT what a Jersey Devil is supposed to be, if they are going to use Jersey folklore, get it right. Jersey Devil is not a literal devil.

Yeah, this is probably the biggest catch with the theme since it’s theme will probably be closer to El Diablo than it will to the actual Jersey Devil. This could be due to a number of things, but I think one is just sheer marketability. A lot of people (including me) see “devil” and think about the Devil in the underworld associated with flames, demons, and things like that; not a hooved deer with bat wings. JDC, with its 48 inch height requirement, also appeals to younger audiences, so indicating a clearer theme here is beneficial as well instead of trying to explain why the Devil is a deer instead of a demon. Similar to the New Jersey Devils hockey team, as their theme is centered around the actual Devil associated with hell, not the Jersey Devil folklore. But it still ties in regardless, so I think it still works. If I had to guess, a lot of the theming elements from El Diablo are probably going to be reused on this ride, even outside of the ride’s old demon statue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, XENITH said:

Yeah, this is probably the biggest catch with the theme since it’s theme will probably be closer to El Diablo than it will to the actual Jersey Devil. This could be due to a number of things, but I think one is just sheer marketability. A lot of people (including me) see “devil” and think about the Devil in the underworld associated with flames, demons, and things like that; not a hooved deer with bat wings. JDC, with its 48 inch height requirement, also appeals to younger audiences, so indicating a clearer theme here is beneficial as well instead of trying to explain why the Devil is a deer instead of a demon. Similar to the New Jersey Devils hockey team, as their theme is centered around the actual Devil associated with hell, not the Jersey Devil folklore. But it still ties in regardless, so I think it still works. If I had to guess, a lot of the theming elements from El Diablo are probably going to be reused on this ride, even outside of the ride’s old demon statue. 

I do get what you are saying, but I feel it would have made more sense for the theme to be more focused on the woods, and have the appearance to the creature to be more mysterious. I do appreciate the idea for the ride, but it just looks like they went for The Devil in New Jersey rather than The "Jersey Devil".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

I do get what you are saying, but I feel it would have made more sense for the theme to be more focused on the woods, and have the appearance to the creature to be more mysterious. I do appreciate the idea for the ride, but it just looks like they went for The Devil in New Jersey rather than The "Jersey Devil".

I agree with you on that, as I would’ve loved to have seen a theme better tailored to the folklore rather than an actual Devil. Luckily, we will have some more Jersey Devil-like theming outside of the ride, like the former entrance statue from El Diablo that resembles the Jersey Devil from the folklore. We will also be seeing the return of the old parallax head from Green Lantern’s first drop portal, which will look great as well!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, EasternThrills said:

More photos of JDC from the Six Flags Great Adventure Instagram page! 

09C75999-D715-430A-8B11-25535188094E.png

C001B237-AACB-4889-ADA6-6AC4A045759E.jpeg

5480B872-A7CC-4D26-89BC-56A6EDDE299D.jpeg

C28FE60E-939B-45DA-9081-CF17BC07C26C.jpeg

9ECD7B55-0FE4-44B6-9BEE-0B2897A0DF40.jpeg

1A3D6487-7A49-4488-BA6C-93B088E765D6.jpeg

2F501DB1-9436-44FF-B5EF-64E98EED158C.jpeg

A80BD574-4AEE-4E38-845A-9221C9481EBD.jpeg

It felt like just yesterday they placed the final piece of track.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TylerRRC1972 said:

What Happened to all the rides removed for JDC?

They are currently being stored at the park and will likely make a return at some point in the next 5 years for a new kids area expansion. It is also possible that some of these rides are sold to other parks either inside or outside of the Six Flags chain to continue their service life elsewhere. If you ride Nitro this season, you’ll be able to see many of the rides dismantled in a storage lot, including the Road Runner Railway coaster. Under Batman’s station is also the trains from Road Runner Railway, which can be spotted from Nitro’s station!

Edited by XENITH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, XENITH said:

They are currently being stored at the park and will likely make a return at some point in the next 5 years for a new kids area expansion. It is also possible that some of these rides are sold to other parks either inside or outside of the Six Flags chain to continue their service life elsewhere. If you ride Nitro this season, you’ll be able to see many of the rides dismantled in a storage lot, including the Road Runner Railway coaster. Under Batman’s station is also the trains from Road Runner Railway, which can be spotted from Nitro’s station!

Thanks. I would like to see a Expansion of BBNP going towards joker or a new DC Kids Area. Would like to see a Kiddy Wooden Coaster liker Wacky Taxi or Roar a Saurus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...